News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 25, 2024, 02:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No more pinky steering.  (Read 13925 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
No more pinky steering.
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
I'm sure the engineers at Saginaw were real proud of themselves when they developed a steering box that takes little to no effort to turn the tires. I however like a steering with a little more resistance. Based on some internet research, I found out a steering box from 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokees have a similar steering radius, but with a faster ratio and  greater effort. I removed a steering box from a 98 Jeep Cherokee at the junkyard a couple months ago. Mine was loose and leaking. I finally had the time to tackle this. It is a direct bolt in. Everything externally is the same. I am very satisfied with the results. Steering seems stiffer like a sports car and I don't feel like a drunk weaving down the road. It might not be for everyone, but if you are looking for more steering effort, it seems like the way to go.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:50:56 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: No more pinky steering.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
Did the same to my 86. i was almost certain that was an 89xj. just saying there are more compatible years

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
Did the same to my 86. i was almost certain that was an 89xj. just saying there are more compatible years

For those that don't know, XJ= Cherokee ZJ= Grand Cherokee from 93-98
It's my understanding that the XJ box is a ratio of 14:1 where as the ZJ has a 12.7:1 ratio. The XJ box would be an improvement over the Eagle's factory variable box but not as much as the ZJ's. The XJ box would be a happy medium between the two.

I just want to make it clear that some make think it would be twitchy going in a straight line down the highway. It is quite the opposite. I don't know if it was because my old box was worn out, but it is much easier to drive down the road. I encountered a heavy cross wind while driving today and usually it would make my car move all over the lane. It was quite easy to keep it straight with the ZJ box.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Eaglefreek.  Egg to you, only one more to go to reach the century mark!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Eaglefreek.  Egg to you, only one more to go to reach the century mark!

Not anymore he doesn't.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
That is excellent news.  If you think Eagle steering is light -- try a Concord, they are really really light and extremely sensitive.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
That is excellent news.  If you think Eagle steering is light -- try a Concord, they are really really light and extremely sensitive.

I don't suppose getting that light concord steering would be as simple as swapping in a Concord power steering pump?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
Probably not, its all in the steering box I believe.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
I wish I would have known this a month ago.  I just put a reman gear in my Wagon a couple months back.  I would have gotten one of these instead... darn it :(
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
So.....am I right in my suspicions that switching out the steering box might help with the wander my Eagle has? The control arm bushings, pitman arm etc where done a while back and the front end was given a really good bill of health, but the wander has always been there. My husband is particularly alarmed by it and by my statement of "its always done that!" lol. Of course a cross wind makes it incredibly evident, though I'm slightly used to it (for unknown reasons I get more freaked out when our Landcruiser gets caught in a crosswind..I guess I just trust the Eagle more).

So a direct bold in! How long did it take you roughly, start to finish? I'm thinking come spring that might be a good one for me to attempt if its relatively quick and easy! I'll likely get the local junkyard looking for one pretty soon here so I have the part ready to go!

And thank you for posting on this!!!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »
My front end parts seemed to be in good working order also. I haven't had the front end aligned in the 4 years that I have owned it though. My did wander bad and no longer does. I have to reiterate that the steering is quite a bit "stiffer". While in a parking lot situation is where it mostly will show up, however I think it is a good trade off for the better feel while driving. I did it over 2 days because I did it after work and had limited light. I would guess it took a 2 hours tops. I could probably do it in an hour now that I know what to do.

You'll  need a large socket for the nut holding on the pitman arm, I believe it was a 1 5/16", a pitman arm puller, 5/8 socket for the 3 bolts holding the box to the frame, a 12 point 7/16" socket for the pinch bolt for the shaft clamp, and a 16mm open end for the line going into the box. If the rag joint is questionable this is the time to replace it.

It would be easier if you remove the lower radiator hose but I did it without removing it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:17:19 PM by eaglefreek »

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
Any issues with hoses or do the Eagle hoses connect to the newer steering box without issues?
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
Any issues with hoses or do the Eagle hoses connect to the newer steering box without issues?
Everything is identical between the steering boxes as far as lines, splines, thread sizes and bolt pattern.

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
My did wander bad and no longer does. I have to reiterate that the steering is quite a bit "stiffer". While in a parking lot situation is where it mostly will show up, however I think it is a good trade off for the better feel while driving. I did it over 2 days because I did it after work and had limited light. I would guess it took a 2 hours tops. I could probably do it in an hour now that I know what to do.

Sweet, sounds like it is worth doing! I love the steering right now for in town driving, but having about 20 mins of highway driving just to get to town is pretty hair raising. Dealing with stiff steering in town will be worth it!
I'll be sure to give myself at least a full day on a weekend in the spring and I should be able to get it done without having to really stop. Going to need to get my mitts on the tool for the Pitman arm, but that should be doable too.
THANKS!!!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Nice to know. I suspected the steering boxes from XJs and Grands were similar. Maybe that's the reason the blue SX/4 I have seems to have heavy steering - it could have a box swapped in from another application -  but it could be a weak pump or slipping belt.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
More likely a weak pump or the oil has never been changed or someone put stop leak goo in there to swell up the seals.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
More likely a weak pump or the oil has never been changed or someone put stop leak goo in there to swell up the seals.

really...... did you ever drive an eagle and an xj

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
And an MJ and FSJs and Chevs and Fords. Your point? :)

The pump can be boosted up in pressure with a washer under the check valve. XJ pumps are slightly different.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »
Point being is the gear is a different ratio. if you drove both in the same day you would notice.

Btw fords never had a saginaw gear.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
And an MJ and FSJs and Chevs and Fords. Your point? :)

The pump can be boosted up in pressure with a washer under the check valve. XJ pumps are slightly different.

Adjusting the washers is a good way to get a little more feel. Lots faster and a lower pressure will make the pump last longer and put less load on the engine.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Point being is the gear is a different ratio. if you drove both in the same day you would notice.

Btw fords never had a saginaw gear.

How much do you have to lose on that bet?
<--- ex Ford tech :rotfl:

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Pm sent to carnuck

Manitowoc WI

Prafeston

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »
This is good to know and something I might look into.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
Well, I installed a steering box out of an XJ ( regular Cherokee) in the lifted Eagle a couple weeks ago. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with an XJ box instead of a ZJ box. The XJ box is definitely an improvement over the factory Eagle steering box. The ZJ has a stiffer feel and would probably be better in a Kamback or SX4.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
I know this is bringing it back from the dead, but would the pitman arm from the XJ work with the Eagle?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
I know this is bringing it back from the dead, but would the pitman arm from the XJ work with the Eagle?
No. The Eagle pitman arm has a balljoint on it whereas the XJ doesn't. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk