News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: amc backed by pontiac power  (Read 17110 times)

Offline kit_16

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
amc backed by pontiac power
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »
My '81 sx/4, originally began life as some others with a small iron duke. Now its in the process of getting a new power plant, but still a pontiac one none the less.  I am placing the Pontiac OHC-6 sprint into it. never seen or heard of this being accomplished. but with both sitting in the garage and duke was on its last leg, so the thought occurred to me, high torque and high rpm and all wheel drive seem like a nice match.  I will post pictures and more info as I go along.  Would appreciate any input on this matter and would like to hear about other custom engine conversions and upgrades other people have placed into their eagles.  especially the all wheel drive ones.  this car seems like it would make an awesome rally car.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: amc backed by pontiac power
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:06 AM »
Neat idea, but it will make parts more difficult to find, and you'll have to fabricate axle mounts/engine mounts.

If it shares the SBC bellhousing bolt pattern, then wouldn't a 4.3L V6 swap be easier? Vortec would be nice. But it would lack the cool factor of the vintage engine.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »
I am not familiar with that Pontiac engine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:14:27 AM by 83Eagle! »
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »
even though it is a pontiac engine, i find its a refreshing change from the warmed over "just throw a chev engine in it" idea. you should definately fill some of us less informed in on a little history on that engine
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline kit_16

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:02:35 AM »
The OHC-6 design was adopted by Pontiac in the 1966 model year. The block was based on the Chevrolet Straight-6, but had block and head castings unique to the OHC. Both head and block were cast iron; only the large cam carrier/valve cover was aluminum. The engine featured a Single OverHead Cam and was the base engine in the Pontiac Tempest.

The Pontiac OHC-6 engine shared internal dimensions with the standard 230-cubic-inch (3.8 L) Chevrolet I6 block. The OHC head design put it in the avante garde of Detroit engineering. The single camshaft was supported by journals within the aluminum valve cover: no separate bearing shells were used. The cam was driven by a glassfiber-reinforced cogged rubber belt, instead of the usual metal chain, making it state of the art for the time - and very quiet. Valves were opened with finger followers (centered under the cam) that pivoted at one end on stationary hydraulic adjusters. The oil pump, distributor drive and fuel pump drive were not within the block, but were handled by an external jackshaft in an aluminum housing that bolted to the right side of the block. The jackshaft was driven by the rubber timing belt. The head had a single port face (exhaust and intake were both on the left side) and the valve stems were strongly tilted towards the left. This engine was used on the 1966 through 1969 Tempest and Le Mans and the 1967 through 1969 Firebird.

A high-performance version, called the Sprint, was an option. The Sprint featured high-compression pistons, a hotter cam, dual valve springs, a split/dual exhaust manifold, a better coil and utilized the then new Quadrajet 4-barrel carburetor. It was the first American high performance six cylinder engine since the demise of the Hudson Hornet.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
some of those ideas sound familiar having looked inside an ecotec engine. interesting
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
Didn't Willy's offer an OHC 6 in the Wagoneer line when it was introduced??  Putting THAT engine in an Eagle would be way cool as well......
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »
Willys offered the The "Dauntless" 225 cu in (3.7 L) V6 engine in their Jeep CJ's and in the Commando for awhile (1966-71).
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline kit_16

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:37:19 AM »
i need to figure out which would be the best style tranny to take the place of the four cylinder one with  the least ammount of modification that would hold  up, especially since mine is straight all wheel drive. i have been going back and forth and thinking about the ectd-locking differentials for the front and rear. the is a switch with an elctromagnet in the differential case that changes it from limited slip to full lock up, which should be a nice added touch.  this is a little costly at around 700 per axle, but on the other hand when has restoring a car been cheap.lol. any suggestions on tranny setup would be appreciated. i already have an alluminum pontiac bellhousing that came with the ohc-6 originally.  any input and suggestions welcomed

Offline boreddead88

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
Didn't Willy's offer an OHC 6 in the Wagoneer line when it was introduced??  Putting THAT engine in an Eagle would be way cool as well......

your thinking of the kaiser ohc6... they used it in the m715 military 5/4 truck and the kaiser darrin... post willys

Offline ranger

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
When I was in college, I had a '69 Firebird with this engine in it.  I was impressed with a friend of mine who had the 4bbl version in his '68 firebird.  Man was that thing fast off the line!  Very unique engine for it's time.  While in college, I got tired of those gas lines during the second oil shortage, and so set about to convert my car to propane.  i sort of had the idea of what I needed, and got most of the parts rounded up.  Then when I was home from school one weekend. it was time to do it!  The tank went in the trunk, the spare went under the trunk( like a pickup truck) , i got the fuel line and heat exchanger installed.  Then I realized  that I did not have a 1bbl adapter to get the Impco 225 mixer onto my manafold.  About that time, my dad came out to the garage and found me with my old carburator in the vise with hack saw working away...I needed the butterfly valve off the bottom half.  He said" man you are committed now!...once ashore you burned the ships!"  Yea, if this doesn't work I'll be walking back to college.   .....But it did work.....I did manage to get the bottom half of my old carb screwed onto that Impco mixer...and drove it that way for a month or so.  So...I can say that engine works well on propane!

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:14:10 AM »
oh yeah propane in my opinion is the way to go if you have the resorces. it can be a bit of a hassle but it burns way cleaner than gas and does a lot less damage to the engine. And if you work for a propane company it can be quite cheap to use since you would likely recieve a discount on it and its already only 2.20 a gallon. I know a guy getting it for a ford f350 dually who is paying around 1.70 a gallon. Only down side is that it gets a bit less mileage. Ive also heard great things about biodiesel but my buddy just uses filtered used fryer oil from chicken coop and mcdonalds but he says the downfall is that he gets so hungry from the smell when he drives his truck that he has put on about 30 pounds eating at his "fuel stops"

Offline kit_16

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
Just got another ax/4 as a donor car, the sprint engine is about to finally get installed. Turns out the sprint engine has a place to mount the front axle the same way the iron duke does. A very welcome ironic coincidence

Offline kit_16

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
Also grafting a 1972 goes ranchero gt hood scoop onto the eagle hood to give it that 1970 amex ram air hood look. Along with some 1998 jeep Cherokee 5 spoke wheels. This sx/4 is coming along nicely. Hope to have pictures up soon. And hopefully when it's finished, get some national recognition in a magazine or two

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:55:44 AM »

Too heavy. All torque no RPMs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKA-Renault_Torino
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk