News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 02:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project desert Eagle  (Read 43795 times)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
project desert Eagle
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
Desert Eagle is the knick name that I and some friends gave my eagle lol. any way Im about to emabark on putting a "new" engine in and begin to fix things here and there. so I guess you could say that Im going to be restoring it slowly as I am In school. Me and 2 other friends will be pulling the Engine and replcing it. I will be documenting EVERYTHING lol, with pictures and a spiral notebook that will probably be filled up just from the engine R and R. this is my fist time ever attempting this so Im a little nervous but excited at the same time. hopefully this will begin in the next few weeks. so any advice/tips/do not do this that way/ any other input is great. thanks y'all check back from time to time.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
Re: project desert Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Good luck on your project. Folks here love pictures.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
You know, I don't think we have, at least I don't remember having, a really well documented engine removal/reinstall project thread.  So if you can, that would be appreciated, by many, I am sure.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
@1OldFordMan: I plan on having pictures trust me.

@IE: Im going to try to document it as well as possible. It is going to be a slow going process. I have to rebuild the carb and just do general maintenece first. it will be april before I even get everything ready. im hoping to pick up the engine here in 2 weeks
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
Here is a small update: i will hopefully get my engine here soon. i have got a place to store it but not my eagle. i found a 2 and 1/2 car garage on the south side of indy for rent that could serve as my work place. whether or not it is still available idk. i need to know what all i need as far as tools and supplies. and my big question is does the front diff have to come out in order to remove the engine? So far I got the ball rolling... slowly. but it will still be at least 3 weeks until I dive in. advice and " dont do this " things are greatly helpful.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
i need to know what all i need as far as tools and supplies. and my big question is does the front diff have to come out in order to remove the engine? ... advice and " dont do this " things are greatly helpful.

I did an engine swap last fall.  I don't recall that there were many special tools required.  Lots of wrenches, extensions, etc.  I asked the same question about removing the front differential.  My advice would be to take it out.  Its not that difficult and opens up a lot of room for taking things out and putting them back in.  Some of the engine mount bolts are difficult to get to and can only be turned a little bit at a time, and I think removing the differential helps that out.  We pulled the engine only, and it wasn't that bad removing the upper bell housing bolts - they are 9/16" bolts, two 12" extensions, a universal joint, and maybe somebody up top to help hold the socket on.  I believe we took the top passenger bolt off from up top.  Are you putting in a rebuilt engine?  Ours was used but not rebuilt so we replaced the timing chain and rear main seal while we were at it.  Is the new engine from an Eagle?  If not, you'll have to swap over the oil pan and oil pump.  Let me know if you have any questions, I can probably recall more if asked.  It really wasn't too hard of a job.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »
@ vangremlin: yes that is VERY helpful advice. the engine Im getting has 80,000 on it if I remember. I am going to replace somethings on iy before it goes in and rebuild the carb. trust any and all help is great. whatever makes this go as smoothly as possible.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
Here is the link to the thread for my engine replacement

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=21586.30
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:23 AM »
That was very helpful man. I want my engine to look that good.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »
Im deciding on 2 garages. one is a 2 and 1/2 car garage and the other is a 550 sq ft garage. Im gonna need a decent amount of room to work and store tools plus a small radio cuz who wants to work on a classic car with out tunes lol? hope to hear something in the next few days. once i get a garage the project will start. I do have to get my other car road worthy and all tht so i can drive it. on another note I got out of class early today9 and i will tomoroww as well). it was decent out so i decided to try my AC. to my amazement it still works! from last july. ive never had a car with working AC so this is sort of new lol. i thought it all leaked out. guess not. anyway Im going to have to recover that in order to take the engine out. should i change anything out while the engine is on the stand? like timing chain, water pump ect. im already gonna do a tune up and carb rebuild and replace the valve cover and gasket.

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
I would agree with the earlier comment about the rear main, might want to do the front one too while it's out. I'd suggest anything you can afford & that would be a big hassle with it in ( main seals, especially rear, check oil pump, etc. )
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
Yeah, the engine out here could look like that... but it's pretty dirty. Going to need to be sand blasted and/or pressure washed with tsome heavy degreasing. The valve cover had been leaking for quite awhile.

I didn't even think about the rear main seal and timing chain... I mean, I didn't notice any leaking from the rear main before I pulled it (just the valve cover), and it ran fine... so my guess is they are both fine... but just like they said... if you really want to prevent a hassle later on down the road... replace the seal and the timing chain as well.

I mean, really, you can deal with the seal leak... it's just be dirty under there... and it doesn't look pretty when you're parked... not to mention all the oil you'll be using if the seal goes. But mechanically, it should function just fine. Now, the timing chain... if it goes bad - you HAVE to replace it.

So idk man... it's whatever you're willing to risk. And from there, it's what's more important. Then what's the biggest hassle.

The timing chain is a hassle if the engine is in, but you can get to it later if need be. The rear main seal... I've never replaced one, but I'd think you'd have to pull the engine to replace that one... and Eagles are notorius for it. Soooo... you do the math man.

And again, if there's anything you'd like me to have done to the engine before you pick it up - let me know. As long as it's not something that's going to take an entire day, you don't have to worry about labor... just cover whatever supplies I may need. (IE valve cover, seal, timing chain, sandblasting/painting)

Keep me posted man!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
@ Mavericke: Thanks ma, ya you might as well blast it and paint it man and do mabe do thetiming chain. if i rememebr correctly the timing chains had to be replaced at 80000 miles? I cant remember lol. as far as color Idk. would love to do that AMC symbol on the sides of it but that would take alot of time im guessing. Ill try to figure out a color today. As far as the valvecove go aheadand replace it man and just give me the final cost of it. Im gonna rebuild the carb and do a tune up. btw is it a holley or a carter? cuz napa has a rebuild kit for both kinds. Ill do the rear main seal and some other things. preventing thngs is my main goal right now. Can't wait to get started on it! Ill see bout getting you some SX4 parts here soon,  like I said befre I owe you man. he still wants to ell the one.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
well I got out of class early today, was only there for like 25 mins! got home and called about that 2 and 1/2 garage. its not available and the 550 sqft garage that I emailed about since it had no number to call i still have not gotten an answer.so Im kinda running out of options. so where should I look? does anybody know anyone in Indianapolis with a garage I could rent? I put an ad on a certain list and I havent heard anything. some of my friends have a one car garage but thats too small for this kind of work.any suggestions?

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
Hope for a few nice days in a row?? lol

I duno man. it sucks you have no place to work on your eagle. I've been spoiled always having either a heated garage to work in, or a big mechanics shop with a hoist.

Keep lookin man. If I was down your way I'd help you look or offer you my garage and my assistance.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk