News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OEM Transfer Cases  (Read 67924 times)

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
Re: OEM Transfer Cases
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
Just a bit off topic here, but also remember, the 119 uses 10W30 instead of ATF. 
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »
My newest Eagle is an '86, so it should have the NP 128 Case.  Now if I took a NP129 case, and bolted it to my '86, could I still shift on the fly? 

would there be a NP129 case on my '84 that would do?  Could I just swap them over?

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
whuntmore: you can shift (your TRANSFER CASE) on the fly as long as your front axle is engaged, either permanently or with the disconnect axle already connected (this must be done at a stop, or at least with the wheels locked, lol)....

anyway, the axle is not supposed to shift on the fly while it is turning, the shift fork is tiny and there no synchronizing from what I understand...what you get your car to do wheeling in the desert is between you and the coyotes

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
Both the 129 and 128 cases can be shift on the fly.  It was the axle disconnect that created the stop and shift version.  You either need a non-disconnect front axle; or lock the disconnect axle into the "connect" mode to have shift on the fly.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
Ok, but since my 86 eagle is already shift on the fly, and the front end is already set up for this, and I'm not changing the front diff, then the front end shouldn't be a consideration here.   Is this just you guys thinking that my Car isn't already shift on the fly?

I mean maybe there's something I'm missing here, but it seems to me if my car is already 'shift on the fly' and the transfer case I want to change to is also 'shift on the fly' and all I'm doing is changing the case, it should work.

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »
I believe that the 80 & 81 and 86 and later all had the locked front axles.  It was from 82 to 85 (?) that had the select-trac that you had to stop the car and shift.  So, if you have a set up that is already a shift on the fly, changing out the transfer case with either the 128 or 129 will not affect that.  I pulled my 129 out of my 84 wagon, then locked the front axle and installed a 119.  I like the idea of full time AWD.  the difference in MPG is negligible and I don't have to worry about shifting the T-case whenever the road conditions change.  There is another 81 wagon at a local wrecker with a 119 in it.  They want $100 for it, and I am considering getting it to have a spare.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
Ok, but since my 86 eagle is already shift on the fly, and the front end is already set up for this, and I'm not changing the front diff, then the front end shouldn't be a consideration here.   Is this just you guys thinking that my Car isn't already shift on the fly?

I mean maybe there's something I'm missing here, but it seems to me if my car is already 'shift on the fly' and the transfer case I want to change to is also 'shift on the fly' and all I'm doing is changing the case, it should work.

Yes, all you are doing is changing transfer cases.  You will retain your shift on the fly capability. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline rockymtnhigh

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
A  229 T-case can be installed in place of the 129 or 128, this way you still have the viscous coupler and you have low range.  You would have to install a shifter to shift from low range to high range. Other than the shifter it's identical to a 129.  These can be found on the AMC Grand Wagoneers behind V-8's, but the bolt pattern are the same as a 129 or 128.

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Just a bit off topic here, but also remember, the 119 uses 10W30 instead of ATF. 
[/
  How much damage can you do by using ATF instead of 10W-30?  I just changed mine back to 10W-30 after reading it in the manual. I was under the impression that they all used ATF, in fact that's what was in it when I bought it. Guess that's where all of my winning is coming from, sounds like it's going to explode any day now.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
You never mentioned what year or what. Case.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the factory later recommended ATF over 10w30.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
To my understanding if you swap for a 229 you need to do something different with the speedometer cable. A 90degree adapter I think.
I found this to be a handy chart.

Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
Just reclock it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
While I was at the Calgary PnP helping El Matador strip an eagle there, a guy who used to be a (long standing) member with our AMC chapter came up and started chatting.  he still owns a few AMC cars.

I told him I had a 129 case I was gonna swap out (get rid of my 128 case) and he suggested that I go with a 208 case from one of the full sized wagons (wagoneer... whatever)

Now, is there such a case as a 208?  Or did he have his numbers wrong, and he really meant a 207 TC?  I've never heard of a 208 case. 

If there is such a beast, would this be a good upgrade?

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
Just reclock it.
I have heard this will cause leak issues?
Hear is a link to a page on common t cases it has info on the np 208 mentioned above.
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1005or_common_transfer_cases_guide_high_low_ranges/new_process_gear.html
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk