News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rekeying the Ignition  (Read 2557 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Rekeying the Ignition
« on: January 02, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
My lock cylinder neither holds the keys in anymore or warns when I forget the keys in. (By the way an AAA membership is fantastic)
I bought a replacement but it comes with a new set of keys and I'm not about to redo all the locks. The TSM says you can repin the lock cylinders but the retainer is staked. I couldn't even get a locksmith to take a shot at it.

Anyone had luck gently bending back the staking and repinning?

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Rekeying the Ignition
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 09:58:01 PM »
Found this.
"Inside an Ignition Lock from an AMC Eagle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYppyKQzBg
Says they're a GM part.
Example is for an '82. Replacement key cylinder in video is a BWD CS70L.
(Says there's a minor differences for '86 up, but shouldn't be a problem.)

Doesn't show the repinning.
In video description: "UPDATE: Removing the pin retainer however is a different story. Once it's off, prepare to try to put it back in and keep it there!"

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 10:02:17 PM by Canoe »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »
Maybe you can check in with AMC of Houston. He seems to know a lot about locks and keys.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »
Found this.
"Inside an Ignition Lock from an AMC Eagle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYppyKQzBg
Says they're a GM part.
Example is for an '82. Replacement key cylinder in video is a BWD CS70L.
(Says there's a minor differences for '86 up, but shouldn't be a problem.)

Doesn't show the repinning.
In video description: "UPDATE: Removing the pin retainer however is a different story. Once it's off, prepare to try to put it back in and keep it there!"

Psst! That's me! ;)

This may help...

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Ignition_Lock_Cylinder_Removal
That's the same material I have in the TSM. In the time since I made this thread I bit the bullet and dismantled the new cylinder by grinding off the staking and pulling the retainers out. The parts seem similar enough you can rebuild the outer cylinder and replace a worn key-in tab and as long as you remember where your pins were you can switch pins between the old and new cylinders but the stainless steel bit at the end where the key goes in is factory pressed and if your inner cylinder is physically worn you are out of luck.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 08:38:05 PM »
Got around to taking the photo (attached), showing the old cylinder that I removed from my '86. It shows how the cylinder internals are captive in the cylinder housing. It was the same with the replacement cylinder I got. This type cannot be dissassembled to be rekeyed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:39:15 PM by Canoe »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk