News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 03:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seized rear wiper arm  (Read 1356 times)

Offline jeepneagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Seized rear wiper arm
« on: February 01, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
Any advice on a seized rear wiper arm on a wagon? I've tried lifting the arm to disengage the clip at the base but cannot get the arm to budge off of the splined shaft. I really don't want to get the get the torch out so close to the paint, but it seems frozen. At this point I'm thinking of cutting it off and retrofitting a rear wiper assembly out of a cherokee.

What have others done?
1984 Eagle Limited

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Seized rear wiper arm
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:16 PM »
I've taken a half a dozen of these off wagons in junk yards and it is never a lot of fun.  Usually end up leveraging a screw driver against the hatch to get it loose and pull it off.  Maybe lots of WD-40 and some heat will break it loose.  I would think you can come at from various angles to protect the paint, and it won't have to get red hot to break the arm loose.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jeepneagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Seized rear wiper arm
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
Thanks!! I'll give the heat and PB blaster a shot.
1984 Eagle Limited

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk