News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front lower ball joints  (Read 9230 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Front lower ball joints
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
So it seems the front lower ball joint is discontinued for Eagles (mine is a 82 SX4). I've search this site and did not find a solution. If there is a solution please direct me to it. Else, can an upper ball joint be used in stead? If so, is there any mods that have to occur to implement?
Thanks

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Front lower ball joints
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Oh my, this sucks. I of course hope there is an answer.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
Autozone advertises the correct one but when I place the order, they dont have them. I'll call them but it seems strange that no one seems to have them.

It just a plate extension...

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
RockAuto lists "DANA DS706116 Contains 1 Upper Ball Joint and 1 Lower Ball Joint".  You may also want to check with some of the AMC specialty vendors like Kennedy American.  Good luck and let us know what you find.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
I just checked the Kennedy American website. They have upper and lower ball joints listed. As well as control arms and sever other items I figured I wouldn’t ever find.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
The images for DANA DS706116 does not appear to be the same as OEM.  Anyone buy the upper lower kit from Rock Auto?  I have new uppers but the kit is cheaper than just the lower at Kennedy American.  I will call Kennedy American and see what they have.  Thanks for the leads.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
That Dana number does not fit our Eagles.   Some bean counter somewhere thought that since that number fits some Jeep models, it'll fit the Eagle too!!   After all, an AMC is an AMC; right!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:57 AM »
I tried buying some from Rockauto, but the order was cancelled after a few days when they couldn't find it on the shelf.

I ended up getting some from Autozone, and they were made by RareParts.  A little pricey (compared to RockAuto) but they worked well and have held up so far.  Everything fit like it should. I've done about 4000 miles with them, and 2500 of that was on dirt.

Looks like they are available direct from rareparts.com for $56 each.  Part number MVMK3153.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Thanks.  I contacted them and ordered 2.  $55.51 each +s&h

I just received the Rockauto upper and lower kit ones.  Completely wrong and I am sending them back.  This is crazy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:01:22 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Well, rareparts cancelled my order. Said they have been on back order for over a year.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
Try going direct to Autozone.com, that worked for me last year.  Checking their site now, they show a Duralast which I doubt exists - it wasn't really available when I bought.  The site also shows the rareparts version for $78.99 each.  I think that was about what I paid, maybe they have a couple more left gathering dust.

EDIT:  I read again and see that you tried to order from Autozone already.  Hopefully you were trying to get the Duralast version.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:44:31 PM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
AutoZone is out of stock and cannot be ordered according to counter person.  Guess $240 has to spent to Kennedy American for theirs. Ugh.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
So it seems almost everyone is out of these.  Some of the suppliers are asking their manufacturers to start making them again.  So it is wait and see AND do not throw away your old lower ball joints!  I got mine back from the scrap pile so I can at least put the front end back together.  This really bites.  Who know the Achilles heal of an Eagle is a ball joint!

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »
To bump a two year old thread....

Since the last post, has there been any improvement in the availability of lowers? As others have noted the uppers are cheap and still readily available but NOBODY seems to be manufacturing the lowers. Even Dorman doesn't have anything and my local parts shop has been waiting over a year for anything equivalent. I'm still waiting on the backorder for something OTHER than RareParts.  :(

That being said, the RareParts replacement is now $170CAD after taxes and shipping for one, and I need two of them. Separating the bracket off a failed lower and trying to bolt in a brand new upper in its place (the bolt holes DO line up but you have to saw the bottom indent off the bracket) has likewise found the upper has a narrower taper and a longer thread, so that isn't useable in case people were curious.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
You wouldn’t happen to have found a part number with those?
Also, I believe espo springs n things can get upper and lower ball joints.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:36:45 PM by Taylor »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 07:06:05 PM »
Kennedy American shows them as available.  Also, I just picked up some off eBay (from someone who had bought them from Kennedy American) so keep an eye out on there also.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 11:01:25 PM »
Do we have to start thinking about how to rebuild or rehab a lower ball joint?

We have the mounting plate from the old lower ball joint. As an easy fix, can we mount a ball joint off something else to that plate? 
Needs a lot of clearance due to the half-shaft CV going into the hub right above it.
As a starting point, is there a stud that matches the Eagle lower?

An all-steel - no plastic insert - ball joint should be weldable?

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:52 PM »
Rockauto has lowers ball joints for a 1975 Hornet, I would think they are the same. I haven’t been able to confirm this. I do know the Delphi (TC6390) part number for the upper ball joint is the same as a 1985 Eagle

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
Rockauto has lowers ball joints for a 1975 Hornet, I would think they are the same. I haven’t been able to confirm this. ...
The photos of that I've found for those show a different bolt pattern and a tapered plate instead of a straight & square plate. But, it might be a good match for the same size shaft, possibly the ball too.

Some of the Jeep lowers look interesting. Might be able to weld to our lower plate, then bolt into the lower control arm like a stock part. May even be able to regrease, when the half-shaft is taken out first. I have a new spare Eagle lower, Moog K3153 (and upper, K3082), that I could take to a parts store to compare for a match to the shaft and centre of ball.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 11:07:09 PM »
You wouldn’t happen to have found a part number with those?
Also, I believe espo springs n things can get upper and lower ball joints.

One of them was factory and has no identifying marks on it.
The other was an aftermarket bolt-in and also has no identifying marks other than 32(0? 9?) 5 stamped on the plate.

By the way if anyone asks how hard it is to dismantle an old ball joint and have it like I did on the last page I put a video up on the process...but only discovered near the end of filming that it wasn't going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7rUH07k8bA

Question: If a tapered sleeve was spun on a lathe to increase the diameter so it did fit in the knuckle correctly, would an upper even be able to handle the weight of the car for any extended period of time or are uppers as strong as lowers?

Edited:
Kennedy American shows them as available.  Also, I just picked up some off eBay (from someone who had bought them from Kennedy American) so keep an eye out on there also.  Good luck!

Problem is that after CAD conversion, $119USD is $156CAD and we still have not factored in shipping, so it's not much cheaper. :/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:18:02 PM by MIPS »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
By the way if anyone asks how hard it is to dismantle an old ball joint and have it like I did on the last page I put a video up on the process...but only discovered near the end of filming that it wasn't going to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7rUH07k8bA...
Now the question is, is the old/stock lower ball the same size ball as the ball in a new upper?
As in, can you reassemble the lower using the nylon socket off a new upper?
If the lower ball fits the nylon, but the nylon's outer dimensions are too large, can the nylon socket's outside be trimmed down?
If the lower ball had to be refurbished, one could remove all rust with vaporust, but could you repair any pits in the ball:
- with JB-Weld?
- by welding the pits and machining the ball back to original size?

And easier,
Is there a different upper or lower off _______ vehicle, that fits the lower taper?
Is there one with the right taper that fits the lower plate like that upper did?
One with the low-profile greasing port?

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »
I would not under any circumstances attempt to resurface and reassemble an already worn out ball joint. Hacking the drivetrain and steering like that is far too dangerous if it fails.

My recommendation is either the tapered shaft insert, or finding a replacement that we can adapt to the plate without impacting the integrity of the joint.

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 10:59:07 PM »
I was able to source a set.

In early July of this year, I placed an order for 2 Rare Parts #10492, AMC Eagle Lower Ball Joints from Autozone. They were approximately $80 each. I have not installed them, but they look terrific and come with all attachment hardware.

Here is the link:
https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/ball-joint-lower&filterByKeyWord=rare+parts+10492&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false
1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in Super Brown

More young men should work on old cars.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »
Well at considerable expense (parcel forwarding AND paying $62 in UPS import brokerage fees....) I got a set of ball joints on the table.
Now for some solid information this Rareparts component, since we don't have any solid details on it. Many pictures beyond this point, sorry.

The actual ball joint is a welded two piece assembly. Upper half is stamped 3170 and the lower half is stamped 3116. It is bolted to the bracket plate which is IDENTICAL to how I cut the bottom out of mine, so that CAN be reused. So if we can reuse our existing brackets with a bit of one-time machining the key is to find the joint. Here's some precision measurements that might help anyone willing to spend a while going through parts catalogs for something that's a close fit.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:38:56 PM by MIPS »

Offline B.rad256

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »
i recently replaced both upper and lower ball joints on my 83 sx4 and i purchased them from AMClives.com. I bought them as a kit but i think you can buy them individually if you just want the lowers. Obivously though it will be expensive either way.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 07:55:56 PM »
Update as of December 6 2023 (just over three years since they were installed) both lower assemblies require replacement again. The failure is presumed to be excessive side-loading wear from improperly installed lower control arm bushings and not due to lack of lubrication, abuse or quality issues. Will report back once they are removed from the vehicle and inspected.

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2024, 12:16:08 PM »
Hey MIPS, what the verdict?
Did you end up replacing them again?
Lessons learned? Etc?

I am most likely going down this rabbit hole soon myself so most likely need to order from rareparts are well and pray they still make them.

Cheers

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2024, 07:01:36 PM »
Hey MIPS, what the verdict?
Did you end up replacing them again?
Lessons learned? Etc?

I am most likely going down this rabbit hole soon myself so most likely need to order from rareparts are well and pray they still make them.

Cheers

RareParts is currently out of stock of the Eagle lower ball joint (their P/N 10492), but they're listing for $191.75/piece for when they are presumably back in stock.  I have an extra NOS pair for sale and have had them listed here for some time with no one biting.

https://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=47370.0

https://www.rareparts.com/RP10492A-10492-Ball-Joint

Good luck in your search --

David

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 07:03:01 PM by djm3452004 »
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2024, 08:21:43 PM »
I did indeed have to change them again. Even with annual greasing and no "heavy" dirt road use they began to develop play.

FYI, read the fine print, these have a lifetime warranty however all warranty claims MUST be honored through whoever you purchased them from and YOU must be the name on the receipt. My first set I bounced through Birdman and as a result they could not honor the warranty without me shipping them back to him first.

The two new lower ball joints, after shipping, taxes and customs came to $700cad, not including the time to install them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk