News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 03:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saved from the crusher!  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Saved from the crusher!
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
This may be the strangest story of an AMC purchase I have ever had

I know the person who owns our local srap yard and pick N pull. Not only am I a regular shopper there but they do business with my business. They know that I am an AMC nut and always let me know if they get something in, which is rarely.

Or maybe its that I'm known around town as that crazy guy who drives those funny looking cars....

Either way last week I got a message that they had gotten an AMC of some type in that was sold to them for scrap and asked if I wanted to come look at it, I of course said yes.

When I arrived I was completely shocked to find a nearly pristine 83 Eagle wagon. Running, driving, perfect interior and even brand new tires. The car had obviously been kept in a garage its whole life and was meticulously maintained. All the belts and hoses are new, carb is new, brakes are new, etc. Even has the original heavy Eagle mudflaps too!

The only issue it has is a really bad transmission mount, which of course makes it clunk a lot, creates noises and makes it ride generally terrible. I had this happen on mine a couple of years ago and its amazing how bad it makes it feel when it fails.

I don't know the story but I can only guess one of two things. One, they went to get the mount fixed and found out you couldn't get one (not knowing you could use a manual transmission one) and decided to scrap it? Or two, this was grandma's car and her kids or grandkids decided to get some quick cash. Guess it will remain a mystery as the scrap people didn't ask.

So my son in law and daughter who have been wanting to be in the eagle family like me and my son and father are now eagle owners! My daughter has been trying to talk me out of my eagle since she was 11 years old, she now seems very happy. I gave it to them with one stipulation, they can only ever sell it back to me for the pre arranged price of $1, and of course they have to take great care of it which Im sure they will.

And for sure it was an excellent price too, sure would have been a shame to see it crushed for scrap, glad it safe in the family now, it seems very happy to have found a good home!

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Saved from the crusher!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Rick showed me this yesterday. What a crazy story. Sure wish I could have an Eagle fall into my lap like this!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
Rob, I've been trying to make sense of this since you told me about it a couple days ago. It baffles me. I don't want to make any accusations, but the only thing that seems plausible is that drugs were involved. Otherwise, I can't see why someone would bring a car like that to a scrapyard instead of trying to sell it. I wish you would have recorded a video when you gave you kids the car.  :occasion14:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »
Great story!  Thanks for saving it from the scrapper!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »

Better get some pics of the kids driving that amazing looking find!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:44:08 PM by vangremlin »

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
FANTASTIC!!!!  LOVIN' IT!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline EAGLER