News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 09:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DRIVERS floor flooded, interval wipers and radio screwed-up after rainstorm  (Read 3330 times)

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Spent yesterday removing wiper wiring and governor, panels and carpeting.
Water dripped out of governor box. 

After wiper disconnect radio worked OK[why?].
Dried out governor.  Temporarily hooked up wiper wiring plugs. 
Only have high speed and have radio static without wiper operating. 
What is going on here?

Have consulted MR 251 regarding the high speed only but cannot turn/remove slotted nut that holds wiper switch to dash to test it.  Any suggestions?

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Thanks.  Good information.

Problem is that I can't turn the "double slotted" retaining nut using needle nose pliers or long snap ring pliers.

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Neglected to inquire in my initial post where to look for the source of the leakage on the drivers side.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Neglected to inquire in my initial post where to look for the source of the leakage on the drivers side.

It seems like the windshield is the most likely cause if you're getting a lot of water.  I get a lot of water on the passenger side from the windshield leaking, it runs through the glove compartment and everything.  Check the cheap easy stuff first though, like make sure all the grommets in the firewall are still in and secure.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 180
I had to have the windshield resealed on mine not long after I bought it.  Back then I had no garage for it, and the glove box would fill up with water with every rainfall we'd have.  After I had the windshield resealed I had no more leak.  Well, except for the rear hatch, but that seal is junk.   

Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
I just finished doing that yesterday using Henry's roof sealer.  Will see what happens.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Nobody asked, but does the car have a roof rack on it? The holes in the roof for mounting the rack are notorious leak points, and the water that gets in can run across the headliner(if it doesnt soak in), and get to other locations inside the car, depending on how the car is parked(anything downhill of the leak gets wet).
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Yes it does - and I'm trying to think of the best way to deal with the holes after I remove it.  I also want to remove those roof trim strips while I'm at it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk