News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 01:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clutch fan removal  (Read 3127 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
clutch fan removal
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »
I got a new clutch and was wondering how to remove to replace.  I didn't see anything on eaglepedia.  I removed the 4 nuts holding the fan, but it doesn't seem to want to come off, any tricks?

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: clutch fan removal
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Its just stuck. Pry or somthing

Manitowoc WI

Smitch

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
Be careful that you don't hurt the radiator!   ;D

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
You don't want to bend any of the fan blades or hit the radiator with the fan, so go easy with the prying or slip some cardboard in there to protect the radiator if it comes free suddenly.

I'm guessing you removed the 4 nuts that hold the fan clutch to the water pump shaft, not the 4 bolts that hold the fan to the clutch. You can remove those bolts once you have the fan and clutch out of the car. Did you get the fan shroud out of the way? It helps to have extra working space, although the fan shroud might not come out without removing the top hose from the radiator(creating more work and a mess).

If you can slip a long prybar, metal pipe, or even a broomstick between the fan clutch hub and the water pump, it afford you some leverage to get the clutch to let go of the water pump shaft, but watch what you use as the leverage point(dont damage the alternator or something else by carelessly prying away). Penetrating oil on the mounting flange can help here, too, since there is a nose on the water pump shaft that sticks into the hub of the fan clutch, and it can get rusted in place. Sand off any rust before putting the new clutch onto the water pump, and apply a dab of grease to prevent future rust.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
I eventually pryed it off, 25 yrs. is a long time.  I cleaned the fan up and put the new clutch on.  It wasn't too bad, and I did it without removing the shroud.  I didn't want to go thru all of that.....thanks for you help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk