News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 12:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice needed - quite urgent !  (Read 10691 times)

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
Re: Advice needed - quite urgent !
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
When you remove the half shaft look at the back of the knuckle, you will see a seal there where the end of the shaft came out. That is the one I refer to. Pop it out with a screwdriver and you may be able to get a part number off it ?

The service manual is very poor as to complete pictures or descriptions, but if anybody has one, look on page G-140 left side, near top, you will see the instruction that says - "install the inner seal in the steering knuckle pin ".

Hope all is clear to you now, all other parts correct.
Note :
Be sure to assemble the splash shield to hub before installing O-ring to avoid damage to same and lube seal lips before assembly. Use something like Vaseline on O-ring ;D, not grease or oil. [ just a very thin coating ].

Happy Eagle-ing   :)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »
EGGcellent advice.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
Another UPDATE. And further help needed.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
Well, I got the bearings and seals last week (Doug, still no luck on the o-ring side, but I'm confident our mighty postal service will succeed in delivering them, sooner or later  :( ). So good. Then, last saturday I prepared the workplace, aligned all my tools, and started the long hub removal adventure.

There's enough stuff for a detailed how-to (I also have some pics) and stuff left for the "DON'T DO THIS" section: I'll prepare and post both when it will be over, IF it will ever be over...

The center axle nut was loosened quite easily (with the help of a 1,5 meters long bar ;) ), then I lifted and supported the front, removed the wheel, found out that the lower end of the caliper had shifted 1 - 1/2 inch towards the wheel due to the rotor's abnormal play (the hub bearings are really shot).

Ok, no visible damage anyway, removed and hung the caliper out of the way to the top of the spring as per the Book.

Then, removed the axle center nut. Everything OK.

Then, disconnected the caliper anchor plate and the steering arm from the steering knuckle. This is the first PITA, because the bolts are likely to be locked in place, and we are working in a quite restricted place: no room for big tools, so sweat 'n swear. But it has to be done, otherwise you'll have no access to the three darn torx head bolts retaining the hub carrier.

Now the "DON'T DO THIS" part: the Book says you have to disconnect the half shaft flange from the T-Case and remove the whole half shaft assembly (being careful not to let the half safts separate in the process - just wrap some wire around the two boots).

Well, I thought I had dealt enough with "frozen" bolts and decided to proceed bypassing this part.

Bad idea. I should have followed the Book.

Basically because if you don't pull out the axle, the steering arm (even if correctly disconnected) won't get out of the way: it will float around there and it won't clear your way to the lower one of the three torx carrier bolts.

There are three of them: the upper front is easily reachable, the upper rear is cleared when you remove the caliper anchor plate, but that f**k##g (sorry) lower son of a **#*h (sorry again ;) ) is in a very very difficult position.

Add the fact that they're all Loc-tited and that you access them from the back side of the steering knuckle and you have the full picture.

So what did I do ? Well, using the very very narrow space gained by pulling backwards as much as possible the half shaft spindle and moving the steering arm here and there (but it won't let go, you always have it in front of your tool) I attacked the lower bolt with the wrong tool: an ordinary wrench and a hammer.

It was the last one (I happily removed the upper two), rain was starting to fall, so I hurried up and (as always when I do such things) I screw'd up everything. The wrench slipped bad, the hammer hit my thumb (ouch!) and (worst part) I ended up with a badly rounded torx head frozen bolt. In the hardest place ever to reach with any other "rescue" tool. (whoever tried to remove the hub will know what I mean).

Eventually (too late) I found the way to remove the steering arm anyway: if you disconnect it from the tie rod (a puller is needed) it will slip off pulling it backwards. But, as I said, too late.

So now I'm at a stop. Sitting Duck.

I think that bolt will never come off, I'm thinking about drilling it away (slow speed drill and cobalt steel bit) but I'm afraid of damaging the carrier threads and/or the knuckle. And then I'd need new bolts anyway (which I don't have).

Any Ideas ? Suggestions ? What would you do ?

Sorry for the long writing, but I wanted to give the best picture of the situation.
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
NEW UPDATE - a cry for help ;)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:09 AM »
OK. Stop me before I do something I'll regret.

I spent another saturday trying to pull that lower hub carrier bolt out. Results (in mixed order):

1) Dog looking at me with that knowing look. He thinks he's lucky not to own a car and not having to have it serviced by me.

2) Wife mad at me ("it took you less time to build our home than to fix that **mn thing"!!).

3) Even more rounded bolt head: I even tried turning it with a chisel and a hammer, you can easily imagine the results.

4) Left hand totally numb and right arm hurting like heck.

What would you do ?

Here's my idea:

with one of the two extracted bolts for reference, I'm buying cobalt steel drill bits: I'd start drilling a hole in the center of the bolt head with a small (thin) bit and then enlarge it with bigger ones, until I reach the diameter of the bolt's stud (or a hair thinner).

I'm not drilling deep into the bolt, my plan is to stop right before the bit reaches the steering knuckle plate. I want to drill away the bolt head and that kind of built in washer (lip ?) that lies on the knuckle.

Studying the two free upper holes, I noticed that the knuckle part is not threaded (it's just a pass-through hole), the threads for the bolt are only on the carrier itself. So, if I manage to remove (grind away) the head and lip, I should be able to punch it out the knuckle. If my plans are right, the carrier should fall off with that bolt sticking out enough to be easily removed in some other and more effective way (finally being off the vehicle).

Then, I'll need a new bolt (or better, three new ones), but I hope I can find something suitable in some hardware store here.

How does it sound to you ? Shall I go this way ? Is there something I'm overlooking ?

The Eagle is sitting since feb.23rd, and I'm sharing my wife's car (me in the morning, she in the afternoon) since then. Well it's quite annoying, and what's more I'm tired of driving stick: I want my AT back ! ;)

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
  A good plan, should work okay for you.

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
I feel better, thanks... those are exactly the words I was hoping to hear ;)

I just used my lunch time today to start working on it. I managed to grind away the head and part (just a bit) of the lip.
I managed to waste 4 (four) cobalt drill bits in the process, too. Even with lubrication and homemade cooling that steel (if that's what they use to make those bolts) is really hard to drill through.

I stopped because I was out of bits and time. But I think that tomorrow in an hour or so, with new tools, I should succeed.

I can't wait to see that hub falling on the ground ! The worst part is that thursday will be nationwide holiday, so my friend's shop (where the marvellous arbor press lives) will be closed and I'll have to wait until friday to rebuild the hub. The good side is that I'll have the weekend to put things back together. Fingers crossed, going ahead !

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
Have the O-Rings shown up yet?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Nope, but I'm still confident. There's time until friday, anyways... ;)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
Doug: O-Rings in my mail yesterday !!!! Yeeeee-haaw ! Slow but sure. Can't thank you enough.

And this morning, the hub came off ! Beating and beating then drilling and beating again did the trick.

I definitely have to write a detailed howto about this thing. There's a lot of "don't do this" I discovered... must share.

So, with a little delay ;) monday I'm rebuilding the hub. Then it will just be a matter of reassembling everything.

BTW: the dang carrier bolt is obviously not reusable (and the other two are not in good shape). Do you think I'll be able to find a set of carrier bolts from a Jeep dealer here ? I mean, as far as you all know, is there some Jeep model (CJ-Whatever, Cherokee, younameit) that maybe shares the same hub bolts ?

It surely would make my life easier. Otherwise, I'll have to find similar bolts in some hardware store. In this case, I'd definitely use some normal hex head ones, instead of those torx things....

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
A jeep dealer may not be a bad idea.  Even though our hubs are unique, frugal AMC may have used the same fasteners.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline gbuckley

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Thank for your description, I am glad you won.
I am facing the same problem the an 87 Wagon in Davenport Iowa, would anyone know of a person or place familiar with this within 100 miles. I have AAA.
Also could you referr me to some tech details or instructions that I could give to someone who may not be familiar but have the skills to do it.
Also what would something like this cost?

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
gbuckley: as soon as I finished the job, I wrote down a "little" how-to about it, you can find it here:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=35193.0

There's a part list, the needed tools, the steps to follow and some pics, too (not many).
Last but not least, there's the link to the original TSM procedure, posted here on the EaglePedia.

The cost is quite low, and it's all about labour.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:31:02 PM by vangremlin »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk