News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 10:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On the fly conversion?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
On the fly conversion?
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
I got a question. There is a vaccum diaphragm  on the front axle...similar looking to the one that engages the transfer case...Its looks pretty wore out. What exactly is that thing? My main question is...

I thought I remembered someone posting something about how that part is the main difference between my Eagle and one that is shift on the fly...Also in that post was how to rig mine up to be shift on the fly.

I could have dreamed this too...Ive been working alot of hours and Im pretty exhausted...Im a bit delerious ;D
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

68AMXGOPAC

Re: On the fly conversion?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
It can be removed and the axle shift shaft locked in place with a clamp or something. I used a kinda wire loom or hydraulic line clamp.The ones that are rubber coated in thier circular part, with the two ears to put a bolt through.I slid it in and around the shaft after slideing the outer gear toothed ring over the teeth on the axle shafts ( thus locking the 2 together as the vacumm motor would) and squezzing it closed and put a nylon tie wrap through the hole in the ears of the clamp. OR even a small hose clamp will work, like a fuel line size.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
That sounds like a pretty easy fix....Id really like shift on the fly...and That sound quite doable.

Does anything have to be done with the transfer case?

thanx,
shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
Nothing needed on the case

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk