News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 10:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: steering box removal problems  (Read 5499 times)

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
steering box removal problems
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
so its time to repair the frame on my project eagle, and im attempting to remove the steering box, and after trying several times with a 600+lb impact i have resorted to grinding the heads of the bols off, i only have one left, and then i am hoping to insert a bar thru the frame and hammer the box out of the bracket, what im asking is has anyone had to do this before and will it work, so that i can then remove the box and place it in a vice and remove the bolts? and then repair the frame and reinstall the box
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Re: steering box removal problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:33:52 AM »
so its time to repair the frame on my project eagle, and im attempting to remove the steering box, and after trying several times with a 600+lb impact i have resorted to grinding the heads of the bols off, i only have one left, and then i am hoping to insert a bar thru the frame and hammer the box out of the bracket, what im asking is has anyone had to do this before and will it work, so that i can then remove the box and place it in a vice and remove the bolts? and then repair the frame and reinstall the box
Stock Eagle subframe or custom full frame railing? If subframe, those bolts all come from through the fenderwell and subframe, like most pickup trucks. You shouldn't have to hammer it out, though you will need to insert a flat blade screwdriver into the steering shaft knuckle after removing the small retaining bolt, and spreading it to slide the shaft off of the gearbox input shaft. To be honest, you would have probably been better off trying to use a cheater bar on a good socket wrench or breaker bar, you'd be surprised what kind of force you can generate with that. It's helped me break bolts loose when my boss' 1000+ lb impact couldn't do it. If the bolts are that stuck into the box, you are probably not going to be able to remove them from the box, to be very honest with you. You can try drilling them out, but you still will not be able to break them free of the threads and will have to overbore the holes on the box, then thread them and use larger bolts.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
Do the eagles have an aluminum spacer between the box and the body? If so, I ran into a similar problem on a jeep. We busted the bolt heads off, trying to get them out. The aluminum spacer that jeep used corroded and fused to the bolts  :o. Once we got the heads boken off, we were able to remove the box, smash the remaining pieces of the spacer off, then an extractor socket removed the broken bolts very nicely, and easily.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
Can't recall for 100%. Its cast metal

Manitowoc WI

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
it appears to be rusted so im going to assume its metal the spacer that is, I can see the spacer as my frames that rusted out, lol, so from what you guys are saying once i get the heads all removed the box should come free from the car?
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Steering shaft power steering hoses. And those bolts that go through the frame

Manitowoc WI

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
yeah those bolts that go throught the frame are the worst things ever, especially if your frames rotted, i tried everyting before i started cutting the bolt heads off, the heads are too rusted to use a breaker bar as it slips off, and a impact isnt powerful enough to even budge them.
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Dependson your impact. And psi available.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
If you were able to get an impact on the bolts, you should've been able to use that same socket on a breaker bar.  If you put the front end on jackstands and use a good 1/2" breaker bar with a 24-30" handle, a standard floor jack handle will fit over it, and makes for a mighty sturdy cheater bar, makes those bolts come off mighty easy.  Helpful tip for future attempts.  Also, you might want to soak the bolts going through the frame with a good penetrating oil, as well as that power steering hose and the pinch bolt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk