The Shop > Electrical

New headlights

<< < (2/6) > >>

vangremlin:

--- Quote from: Sunny on December 26, 2011, 05:09:42 PM ---It's a pretty straightforward install. You should have no problem doing it. I personally noticed a huge difference and was super happy. One word of advice though. AIM THEM!. Even a millimeter too high and they can blind people. HID's have a bad rap for blinding people, but it's always misadjustment.

--- End quote ---

Hey Sunny, I got the HID's in and they look great.  Its getting dark here so its almost time to take them for a test drive.

The only problem I have is that the main headlights go out when I turn the brights on.  In a stock Eagle, there are two filaments in the outside headlights, and three wires that go to that unit.  When the brights are off, the one filament lights up, fed by the light green wire.  When you turn on the brights, the first filament goes out, and the second one turns on, along with the inner headlight (fed by the white wire).  Since my HIDs are wired to off of the low beam, they turn off when I turn on the high beams.  Need to figure out a fix for that.  Did you have the same problem?  Thanks.

vangremlin:

--- Quote from: casper on December 26, 2011, 07:55:57 PM ---ok, i have thought about doing this on my 2 sx4's. did you guys go with those crystal clear lenses that take the h4 bulbs that are found on the bay site all the time?? do the hid lights have high and low beams or just a single beam?? most cars i have noticed with HID have a 2nd bulb in them for low beam it appears. when do we get to see pics of these lenses and the hid install?? VERY intrigued...  :blob1:

--- End quote ---

The kit that I got came from Pro Street Graphix on the bay site.  It includes 4 housings, 2 HID bulbs and 2 ballasts, and then two H4 bulbs for the high beams.  A true HID light requires the ballasts.  My HIDs are low beams only.  The problem I have to resolve is that the way the Eagle lights are wired, the low beam in the outside headlight goes out when the high beams (one in each outer and inner headlight) comes on.  I tried a quick fix of tying the high beam feed to the low beam feed, but then all four lights are on all the time.  I've got a couple ideas to try, involving the relays I also installed today.  I'll get it done somehow.  I will take some pictures once I get the high beam housings installed and wired up.

WoodenBirdOfPrey:

--- Quote from: casper on December 26, 2011, 07:55:57 PM ---ok, i have thought about doing this on my 2 sx4's. did you guys go with those crystal clear lenses that take the h4 bulbs that are found on the bay site all the time?? do the hid lights have high and low beams or just a single beam?? most cars i have noticed with HID have a 2nd bulb in them for low beam it appears. when do we get to see pics of these lenses and the hid install?? VERY intrigued...  :blob1:

--- End quote ---

I can't speak for what vangremlin and sunny used, but most of the cheap(affordable) HID kits i've seen for sealed beam headlights use fixed position bulbs, so no high/low.

My dirt bike is street legal, but riding at night with the standard 35 watt bulb was kinda sketchy.  Since it takes a standard h4 bulb I figured doing an HID conversion on it would solve the problem without having to modify the appearance of the bike.  I had to do some searching, but I did eventually find a few sellers on the 'bay that had High/low capable HIDs.  Since HIDs don't have filaments, they change high/low position by use of a reflector/shade around the bulb that is magnetically shifted like a solenoid.  

WoodenBirdOfPrey:

--- Quote from: vangremlin on December 26, 2011, 08:04:15 PM ---
I tried a quick fix of tying the high beam feed to the low beam feed, but then all four lights are on all the time.  I've got a couple ideas to try, involving the relays I also installed today.  I'll get it done somehow.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure how your relays are set up, but if you can't figure out your low beam issue that way, you can also fix it with a couple high current diodes.  

Are you using one relay to switch the lights on/off, and a second one for the high/low?

If that's how you did it, just put a diode in line with the jumper from the high to low beam on each side.  It'll work like a one way valve to let the current flow from high to low, but not backfeed from low into high.  Just make sure you get diodes capable of handling the current, to be safe I would use diodes rated for 10 amps.  The HIDs should only be pulling about 5 amps each but the initial turn on current for them is higher until they warm up.

There are diodes that will work for you listed on the 'bay for less than $10 shipped for a pack of 5.  You'll only need 2 but it won't hurt to have extras.  Search for "10A Schottky Diode" and you'll find 'em.

Sunny:

--- Quote from: WoodenBirdOfPrey on December 26, 2011, 08:11:29 PM ---I can't speak for what vangremlin and sunny used, but most of the cheap(affordable) HID kits i've seen for sealed beam headlights use fixed position bulbs, so no high/low.

--- End quote ---

Mine have high/low, but they are on a single lens.
A buddy of mine did it on an Astro, I should ask him if he has high/low or just low. It has the 4 headlights like an Eagle.

What Vangremlin said is right, true HIDs have ballasts. You see a lot of shops selling 'plug in HIDs' that are basically normal bulbs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version