News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:53:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hooped transfer case / np242 swap discussion  (Read 8415 times)

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Re: hooped transfer case / np242 swap discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 11:18:12 AM »
I dont know what he did but what I and many others have done was pop the cover off the actuator, slide the coupler to the engaged position, then put a hose clamp on the slider to keep it engaged.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 11:46:01 PM »
Amarshall, what did you about the vacuum axle actuator in the eagle? I'm looking to put in a 231 from a tj soon but still trying to figure out what the best route is for that

My wagon is a 1988 so I don’t have that actuator on the front axle.  It doesn’t disconnect, they eliminated that function by 1988.  I’ve heard about the hose clamp solution also, seems to work for those that need it.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline CaliEagle97

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Amarshall, what did you about the vacuum axle actuator in the eagle? I'm looking to put in a 231 from a tj soon but still trying to figure out what the best route is for that

My wagon is a 1988 so I don’t have that actuator on the front axle.  It doesn’t disconnect, they eliminated that function by 1988.  I’ve heard about the hose clamp solution also, seems to work for those that need it.

Will that cause any issues with daily driving? I have a 20 mile highway commute to work and am hoping to keep my eagle capable of that without impairing the life of the vehicle
Be groovy or leave, man

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 07:46:08 PM »
No it won't cause you any issues. It is essentially the same as putting a shift on the fly front axle in.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk