News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AWD charger subfraime  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Badvibes258

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
AWD charger subfraime
« on: January 25, 2023, 09:19:16 PM »
First, hey all, it's been a long time, I am back.

And with the new i6 hurricane on the horizon and zf8hp70 I thought I would pose some thoughts and ideas.

The hurricane is a powerhouse if they deliver.
And the zf8hp70 is impressive.

510hp/475ft-torque (from 2500 to redline)

And 5:1 first gear and .64:1 8th.

Based on the sx4, 3.73 final gearing, est weight of  3452 (the trans is much heavier but the hurricane is a bit lighter) estimated drag and shape of the sx4, and 27 inch tires, it is theoretically possible to achieve 182 mph or more.

With that in mind, I was looking at parts, and discovered dodge charger awd models had a removable subframe.

With that in mind, I believe something similar could create a less aggressive stance and lead to an unofficial AMX eagle.

IE subaru wrx killer.

I know there was discussion for the 401 amx cross member on the previous forum.

What are your thoughts on the new potential of the hurricane or making a street/strip amx eagle?

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Re: AWD charger subfraime
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 09:53:32 AM »
Thatd be a pretty killer idea, far beyond any of our project budgets though.

Youd also probably want to stiffen up the unibody, and replace the rear axle and suspension to not turn itself into a pretzel with 500 horse too.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Badvibes258

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:31:05 PM »
We are talking about axles that have had ungodly torque put through them. The gear ratios will be changed as noted, but 8 gears also lowers the issue. remember sr4 transmission 1st gear is less than 3:1 putting lots of strain on gears. The 8hp70 8 speed is 5:1 first gear with tunable shift points. And remember the eagle weighs 3300 (3500 with the zf8hp70) just a slightly bit heavier than a subaru impreza
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:39:36 PM by Badvibes258 »

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 12:38:21 AM »
If you think an amc model 30 axle or the 1970s passenger car leaf springs are going to take 500hp for very long, then I really dont know what to tell you. Unless you mean to make the swap then trailer it around to car shows or putt up to the local arbys, then it should be fine.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 06:13:12 PM »
Actually, your 5:1 first gear will put more strain than ever on the drivetrain.  Torque multiplication: multiply the engine power by the gear ratio to get output power.  With an engine rated at 500, 3:1 = 1500, 5:1 = 2500.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk