Information and News > Hatchlings

Saved an eagle from the crusher

(1/1)

ikeinater:
Greetings Eagle den community,

Fairly new to eagles. I've seen and heard about them and my dad used to own one a long time ago. I picked up one awhile 1981 SX4 series 30 straight 6 automatic ago from a guy who was having it hauled off to the recycler. didn't have a key and it hadn't been started or moved since 2002. I inspected it for rust (that i could see) and the only rust i can find is in the rear fender well on the forward facing side. It has a fairly large dent on the drivers side behind the door (not sure if this is a huge issue for structural damage). Yes it has a clean title which is a large reason why i saved it.

I have since pulled the steering wheel off and replaced the lock cylinder. I put some new plugs in it and changed the oil. it started fairly easily just had to fill the carb bowl up a little and put some gas in the tank. It idles fairly well for having sat since 2002. I opened the trans pan to see what it looked like inside and it seems to be normal no glitter or chunks on the magnet. When i filled the trans back up most of the fluid leaked out from the front (engine facing) of the bell housing. I picked up a TF 998 rebuild kit assuming it may need some seals replaced.

Anyone know how best to pull the trans so i can get these seals replaced?

These eagles don't seem all that complicated but i know some folks might have tips and tricks on the weird quirks with them.

Also are the 1981 series 30 eagles always 4wd cause i don't see a switch anywhere inside for 2w-4w?

maddog:
Halfway through the 81 model year, eagles went from all wheel drive (or automatic four-wheel drive as AMC called it) to stop and shift 4-wheel drive. If it's a stop and shift one it will have a little lever with a pull pin under it on the dash on the left hand side of the steering wheel towards the bottom. If it's an early 81 then it should say automatic four-wheel drive on the side and glove compartment door.

Still Pat:
This pic. is an '83, but they're all the same till they went to "shift-on-the-fly" ('85? '86? I don't recall.). Then they still used the same switch, you just didn't have to stop & pull down on the release to switch it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version