News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 11:09:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: getting ready to put tranny back in questions  (Read 9865 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
getting ready to put tranny back in questions
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
Where does the dust protector bolt to on the bell housing i forgot since when i took it off? any pictures of it on??? And the trans place told me I should flush the lines before hooking up the tranny, How do I go about doing that?

Thank you

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: getting ready to put tranny back in questions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
The dust shield upper half just sits on the alignment dowels on the back of the motor (make sure both are there or the bell housing will shift and destroy the converter and flexplate!)

You can get a flush in a can from parts stores, but the fitting it comes with is often wrong. I unscrewed the fitting from the bottom of my rad and got one that fit that the can could screw onto. Beware the plastic line coming apart! That juice REALLY burns when it gets in your eyes! (squirted in around my safety goggles dang it!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »

This is the one I forgot how it went. The top half is already on.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
When i put the spedo cable back in the transfer case. do i need to a get a new gasket or something? the book says something about this but im not sure what it ment.

I didnt take the tranny out, so i didnt pay attention much, but they guy who did it broke his back. So I have to do it now.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
The pan has holes that line up with the edge of the front of the bell. On the Speedo, was the whole plug taken out? If so, it needs to be aligned to the correct gear tooth count on the eccentric. I replace the O-ring if it's chewed up or you get a slow drip. Breaking your back is no fun. I broke 2 vertebrae years ago and they still hurt. Even worse now my right shoulder socket is broken as well as my left hip!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:15:18 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
how do you hook it up to the right gear tooth?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
The TSM has some instructions on how to index the adapter.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
On the piece that slides into the trans (I'm assuming you have the red plastic one) there are 3 or 4 alignment "notches" with numbers written above them. You count the number of teeth on the gear that goes into the trans (most are marked 32 or 26, etc on the gear face) and that number corresponds with the alignment mark on the plastic. On the transfercase hole there is a corresponding alignment mark so it meshes.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
ok thank you!!! couple more things, dont worry ill paypal you for answering all my questions since your the only one who is.   :P The guy who took it out has a cup here with the bolts labeled to where they go, But is there a way to know what bolt goes in what hole since they are all different sizes? And Is there somewhere i can get a stud for the transfer case. I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks!?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »
Take another stud (are you sure it isn't in the cup with nut on it looking like a bolt?) and get one similar. Except for leaks I have run only 5 in various vehicles. (some vehicles came that way due to trans mount interference)
   I would put the bolts into the holes and they should all stick out about the same amount (1/2" to 1") for threads to catch and hold. The bottom 2 bell bolts are thicker and longer than the others intentionally.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
Major problem!!!!! I dont think i lined the torque converter up right because when i bolted up the tranny. I heard a huge pop then they tranny just magically fit. But them i couldnt line up the flexplate bolts so i figured i must of ******* broke something. Would it be the oil pump or something?  >:( >:( >:( >:( :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
No idea if this will help but I recently mated a Trans/Engine and forgot to mark the Flex Plate to TC bolts. Turns out they were mated perfectly and only matched up one way. Had a buddy crank over the V Dampener while I tried one bolt at a time. If the second didn't 'mate' backup, pull the bolt, spin the motor to the next hole. Repeat until I could thread 2 in a row.

Pretty awkward but it worked in the end.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »
yeah i think i messed something up, The ears in the bellhousing move around now. I dont think they should right? Thats what the torque converter slides on to

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »
Sounds like you broke the front pump

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:28:58 AM »
Yeah i think i did, know of a place online i can order one? The next time ill know what not to do!  :censored:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk