News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front axle IFS swap  (Read 2735 times)

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Front axle IFS swap
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »
I, like many of you, have spent a lot of time working on and daily driving my eagle, and like many of you, have also decided that 2.35 gears suck. Especially since I swapped in my AW4, and it only shifts into 4th at 75 mph. Im also sure that we all know by now how you cant re-gear a 2.35 eagle front axle, there have been plenty of threads on it, and I dont think we need another. After doing some looking, and calling some scrapyards, Im starting to think that the supply of non-2.35 eagle front axles is beginning to run dry. So, after racking my brain on options, Ive come up with an idea. Im not saying im super hopeful that itll pan out, but if it does, we might well break into a new supply of regearable front axles.
Heres the idea: Eagles are not the only vehicles to use dana 30 ifs front axles. There exists a possibility that we might be able to use a front axle center section from one of those other vehicles. After doing a little rockauto sleuthing, Ive come up with the following list so far:

Flange style D30IFS

After the listed years, it seems they went to a slipjoint style IFS, which while not impossible, adds the complexity of figuring out cv shaft lengths, and that sounds like too much work for now. It is also worth noting that it seems like early ford rangers and jeep grand cherokees also used a D30 or similar IFS, but with slipjoint cv shafts.

The way I figure it, there are 4 main points of consideration to see if this will work:
1. pinion height/pinion length
2. mounting points
3. axle width
4. gearing options

I have a buddy with a dakota, so Im going to take a peek underneath it here sometime to see if it looks like theyll match up in any way. So how about it, you guys ever give this any thought? ever heard of anyone trying something like this? Id appreciate any info anyone has on the matter.

And no, Im not going to "just solid axle swap", I like my comfy IFS daily driver.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:36:32 PM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Front axle IFS swap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »
Keep us posted on what you find, I'm sure this info would be of use to many of us.  I too wish to keep the IFS of the Eagle, but the 2.35 gears are an odd duck.

What I do know is that CV axles from a 1990 S10 are nearly identical to Eagle shafts, being just a fraction of an inch longer.  Apparently it is a GMC ICA 7.25" differential.  It has a vacuum disconnect as well as a regular yoke and driver side mounting position.  I wonder if that diff would fit in an Eagle...
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
Unfortunately I wasnt able to find any options that fit. The dakota center section was the closest, but the way it bolts on was totally different and would require extensive fabrication at minimum.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 03:03:11 PM »
my neighbor is a scrapper and I have been toying with the idea of strolling on over to take some measurements and pics of various IFS setups. It would be nice to have the option of different gear capabilities
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 11:32:23 PM »
I wish you the best of luck if you pick up the torch on this idea.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 02:57:25 PM »
I was recently looking at the dodge dakota /durango front axle in pictures.
The passenger side axle tube is much shorter, other than that it looks close enough to work.
My current eagle axle has 1" spacers above it to get it lower in line for the cv shafts to work with a 2" lift.
Would not take much to cut the bolt blocks down an inch and weld on a bolt bracket.
Use a U bolt from a large axle around the neck of the pumpkin at the input, from there just cut and weld brackets as needed until its right.   Cant be any more difficult than the v8 mounting brackets for an Eagle.

The only trouble i see is time to do it, my project has been sitting apart sadly for 8 years.
Maybe this year...
1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk