News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towing an Eagle  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Towing an Eagle
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:27:41 AM »
Hello all,
             I asked a similar question to this one about towing an Eagle about a year ago and got mixed answers from this forum and must now ask the same question for a different year model Eagle.

Here is my original question:
A few years back I towed an '85 Eagle from Montana to Texas with all four wheels on the ground, battery disconnected, transmission in neutral and car in 2 wheel drive. Had zero issues with the transmission and transfer case once there and drove it for several years before selling. On this forum I was told I could not do that as it would "ruin/tear up" the transfer case and/or the transmission. That did not happen so I am still unsure of the answers I received.

New question:
I recently bought an '86 (My understanding is this year has an open differential), so does that change being able to tow it with all four wheels on the ground? If I cannot tow it with all four wheels on the ground, can I put two on a tow dolly and two on the ground? If so which two on the tow dolly and which two on the ground? Lastly, I am guessing it should be in two wheel drive and in neutral?

Appreciate the assistance as always?

Thank you.

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Towing an Eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 01:34:38 PM »
Any time I've ever towed one, I've put the front wheels on a dolly & dropped the rear driveshaft.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 02:16:30 PM »
Unless the transfer case has a neutral, there are only two ways to do it right.  The first is like Still Pat did it, pulling the rear driveshaft.  The second is pull it backwards, having the front wheels roll.  Either way, must be in 2wd.

The transmission 'can' get wrecked when the driveshaft (and thus the transmission output shaft) is spinning and the engine (and thus the transmission fluid pump) is not spinning.  Some of the internals are turning, but no fluid is being pumped to lubricate everything.  That's what automotive theory says, anyway.  I've seen transmissions wrecked within 20 miles of city-speed towing, and I've also seen them towed hundreds of miles with no problems.  Maybe it depends on the specific transmission, I'm not sure.  The transfer case will be okay because its fluid pump is turning any time its internals are moving.

As a side note, the first generation (60's?) of Chrysler automatics had the fluid pump in the tailshaft housing, meaning the pump was always turning when the driveshaft turned.  Flat towing cars with this transmission would be okay.  This design had the bonus of being able to push-start the car...yes with an automatic transmission!
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
OK understood. Thank you guys for the options. I think just to be safe I am going to put it on a trailer. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,
                     Longhunter

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »
As a side note, the first generation (60's?) of Chrysler automatics had the fluid pump in the tailshaft housing, meaning the pump was always turning when the driveshaft turned. Flat towing cars with this transmission would be okay. This design had the bonus of being able to push-start the car...yes with an automatic transmission!

Interesting side note, I can vouch for that because the VERY FIRST car I looked at buying was an EARLY ('60s) Valiant. - Yes, I'm THAT old! - I don't recall too much, that was a few, okay more than a few, years ago! I was 16, still in school, & JUST got my license. From what I recall, it had a dead battery & he didn't have any cables. We PUSH STARTED it so I could test drive it!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 08:37:25 AM by Still Pat »
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk