News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a tilt/telescopic steering column that will work in an Eagle?  (Read 3308 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
I have a tilt and telescoping steering column in my Corvette and have it fully extended.  Now when I drive my Eagle it feels like I'm reaching too far for the wheel.  I asked my husband about putting a Corvette tilt/telescoping column in my Eagle as they're both Saginaw columns and it just made him mad as he thinks it won't work without major fabrication.

So, I was looking through posts and came across El-camino's recent post shown below and was wondering if anyone knows of a tlt/telescoping steering column out of a Jeep or something that will bolt in?

steering column out of a 92 XJ with tilt, the lower steering shaft is out of a 96 ZJ

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
You may need to do some fabricating, but the older Cadillacs (70's & early 80"s) had a similar design. I may even have one in my shed that I would give you for just the shipping.  I will look....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Thanks Rich.   :)

Offline John Galt

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Is there a tilt/telescopic steering column that will work in an Eagle?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
What was the final outcome of the tilt/telescoping column?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
What was the final outcome of the tilt/telescoping column?

No  luck so far, but I haven't looked into it further.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk