News:
Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.  And, if you were you banned at another AMC Eagle Forum and cannot log in here?  Let us know and we will fix it for you. 

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2021, 09:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Spring Removal Question  (Read 216 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Coil Spring Removal Question
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:25:51 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first time removing any kind of front coil springs. I bought the best compressor Eastwood had because the thing looked really safe and beefy.  It does seem very safe worth the 150 bucks compared to the stuff I've seen at the chain stores.

I was reading through the removal steps.  I'm rebuilding the front end I have the steering knuckle completely off the car.  I removed the shock. 

The steps say to put the compressor on and compress the spring a bit, jack up the car, remove the tire, then unbolt the lower coil container. Then compress the spring until it comes loose and slide it out with the lower spring retainer.  Is that correct?

I'm wondering if I can should just compress the spring until it clears the lower spring retainer then pull it out?

Just a bit nervous about doing this so I want to know how you guys have done it.

Thanks!
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 23
Re: Coil Spring Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:58 PM »
Seems like your about half way there. I used a loaner spring compressor from Advance Auto. It wasn’t too difficult to remove. Just be very careful.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Daily Driver (better mileage and family beater)
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅 Eats Audi quatros for breakfast😎 Official Member of the Land Rover recovery team.
2005 Ford Excursion 4X4 wife's around town daily driver and family pack mule.
2020 Honda Africa Twin for whatever...

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Coil Spring Removal Question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
Yes the original tool attached to the lower spring retainer using the holes that the shock mounts to thats why th manual says to remove the retainer..  The tool you have will allow you to compress spring and remove it without removing the spring retainer. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HHoAAMXQROxRfK~E/s-l1600.jpg
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk