News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:44:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Purchase advice/parts availability  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Purchase advice/parts availability
« on: April 21, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
I've always wanted an old car to drive around, and after talking with my dad some he suggested that an amc eagle would be a fun car to have. After looking around online, I happened to find one for sale near me, and after looking at it and seeing some of the issues with it, and me and my dad weren't sure how hard it would be to fix. I know the I6 engine was used in several jeeps from that time period, so that isn't a huge concern, it's the body and interior that has us worried. The passenger rocker panel is rotted out, and there's a rust hole on the inside of the front left wheel well. The interior co up ld also use some touch ups. Are these things easy to replace/fix? I live in southern illinois so hopefully there's stuff nearby

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Purchase advice/parts availability
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
A lot of the mechanical parts are available - engine, transmission, brakes, etc.  Although there always seem to be an oddball part that is nearly impossible to find and you'll have to try to find it used. 

Many of the body parts are unique to the Eagle and I am not aware of any reproductions available.  You'll have to find them used in junkyards, online, or from members of the Eagle community. 

Rust is not easy or cheap to fix, especially if its eating into areas near the suspension or steering locations.  Severe rust there can basically make the car un-salvageable.

This forum will provide a lot of assistance but it may be best to wait for a car that matches your skill level.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk