News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't get the instrument cluster out. Help!!  (Read 2214 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Can't get the instrument cluster out. Help!!
« on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:31 PM »
So I'm trying to get the  :censored: instrument cluster out of the dash. I'm following the wiki written by Jurjen, which makes sense to me. So far I've got the gauge cluster and package tray out, as well as the column cover. All bezel screws are out, as well as the parking brake and hood release.

Next, I'm supposed to reach up and disconnect the speedo cable. Now mind you...I have famously small hands. I should be able to reach up and get to it if anyone can. However, there is no :censored: way I'm reaching anything. I'm trying to go up from the driver's side from the left and reach the back of the cluster. I can't feel anything other than a bunch of wires.

Even if I get this loose...just like the wiki says, the bezel feels glued to the bottom. I've pulled and wiggled as hard as I dare. That thing is not coming loose.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:29:24 PM by jrpentolino »
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Can't get the instrument cluster out. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:22:50 AM »
I second this conundrum.  It's what I've tried to tackle a couple of times now and I just cannot get my hand up from below.

Thank you!
-Andrea
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »
hi I always have to pull out the radio and surround, then reach in.  good luck,  gz

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
hi I always have to pull out the radio and surround, then reach in.  good luck,  gz

I've got the radio out. But you are suggesting to pull the center surround that houses the upper a/c vents, correct? And then reach in from the center now that this is all out of the way?

And what about the lower part of the bezel not disengaging? Is this because there is too much tension from the speedo cable?

Thanks in advance!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:37:44 PM »
hi, correct, i usually take the whole thing out, astray and all. good luck, gz

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 11:54:11 PM »
Keep in mind that the bottom of the bezel is held in by tabs that fit in slots on the dash frame.  Once you get the speedo unhooked, have to tilt out the bezel at the top, get the 3 dash lights popped out and unplug the light and wiper switches.  Then it should come free.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:33:13 AM »
Yes, once you remove that center bezel, which comes out pretty easily, there will be a fair amount of room to reach in from the center and get the speedo cable out.  Also makes it easy to reach the wiring harness on the right side of the instrument cluster.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »
And to get enough slack in the speedo cable, you might have to push it in a bit from the engine bay.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 04:44:22 PM »
Thank you all for the advice!! My daughter's Eagle is now free of a dash. The hangup was definitely the speedo cable. I could not reach it for the life of me, but my bolt cutters had no problem freeing that cable from in front of the firewall ;D.

The cable was shot anyway, and I had already purchased a new one in anticipation of this so I figured the heck with it.

Now that everything is out, I can fix the cracks in the dash and we're going to clean and repaint everything in SEM Camel. Should look amazing.

I'm still not sure how to get to the high and low side hoses, but a buddy of mine is a real mechanic (not a "hobbyist" like me), and I'm sure he'll get me on the right track. He's coming over Monday to show me the way.

Then we'll focus on getting the dash reinstalled and then it's time to pull the transmission and transfer case and start on the clutch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk