News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 07:44:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saved an eagle from the crusher  (Read 1082 times)

Offline ikeinater

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Saved an eagle from the crusher
« on: August 05, 2023, 05:57:52 PM »
Greetings Eagle den community,

Fairly new to eagles. I've seen and heard about them and my dad used to own one a long time ago. I picked up one awhile 1981 SX4 series 30 straight 6 automatic ago from a guy who was having it hauled off to the recycler. didn't have a key and it hadn't been started or moved since 2002. I inspected it for rust (that i could see) and the only rust i can find is in the rear fender well on the forward facing side. It has a fairly large dent on the drivers side behind the door (not sure if this is a huge issue for structural damage). Yes it has a clean title which is a large reason why i saved it.

I have since pulled the steering wheel off and replaced the lock cylinder. I put some new plugs in it and changed the oil. it started fairly easily just had to fill the carb bowl up a little and put some gas in the tank. It idles fairly well for having sat since 2002. I opened the trans pan to see what it looked like inside and it seems to be normal no glitter or chunks on the magnet. When i filled the trans back up most of the fluid leaked out from the front (engine facing) of the bell housing. I picked up a TF 998 rebuild kit assuming it may need some seals replaced.

Anyone know how best to pull the trans so i can get these seals replaced?

These eagles don't seem all that complicated but i know some folks might have tips and tricks on the weird quirks with them.

Also are the 1981 series 30 eagles always 4wd cause i don't see a switch anywhere inside for 2w-4w?

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Saved an eagle from the crusher
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 08:05:45 PM »
Halfway through the 81 model year, eagles went from all wheel drive (or automatic four-wheel drive as AMC called it) to stop and shift 4-wheel drive. If it's a stop and shift one it will have a little lever with a pull pin under it on the dash on the left hand side of the steering wheel towards the bottom. If it's an early 81 then it should say automatic four-wheel drive on the side and glove compartment door.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Online Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Saved an eagle from the crusher
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 09:10:58 PM »
This pic. is an '83, but they're all the same till they went to "shift-on-the-fly" ('85? '86? I don't recall.). Then they still used the same switch, you just didn't have to stop & pull down on the release to switch it.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk