EAGLE'S DEN FAMILY > Off topic

Gorrilla Glass

(1/1)

68AMXGOPAC:
Just was reading an article in Wired magazine , and a funny factoid popped up.
Apperently Corning glass made or discovered Gorilla Glass ( as it's called now ) quite awhile ago in their R&D department but had no application for it till Apple contracted them to come up with a glass face for their I-Phone, and lo and behold they allready had it, just had to figure out how to make it thin.
Well the article also states that is was used in some windshields in early AMC Javalins , but after some testing it was disscontinued because it became apperent that your skull broke before the glass ever did - and other car manufactures were not interested in it at all. But AMC being allways the introvert tried it.

maximus7001:
I did some digging around and found some info on this as well. Apparently it was a one year only thing in for the 1968 model year Javelin only.

problemhouse:
And now of course is what is called Gorilla Glass II. Same thing only thinner, and boy does it suck! The iPhone 5 as well as the Samsung Galaxy SIII have these and fair much worse in there drop testing. As also my daughter now knows.  :banghead:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version