1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords > Spirit/Concord Projects

Just Bought 1982 Concord

(1/5) > >>

El Matador:
Just bought this on Sep 29:

http://photobucket.com/1982Concord

I first spotted the ad on Sep 17, and noticed that the postal code was similar to that of my childhood house (where my dad still lives).  I then clicked the map and discovered that it was VERY close - only 0.7 km (0.5 miles) away.  I knew that my dad had an open space at his place, so at that point I became very interested.

Finally got schedules coordinated with the seller and went over for a look.  Going in I had a figure of $250 in mind, and that's what I bought it for.  At first sight it looked downright awful (and of course in my wisdom I forgot to take some "as found" pictures).  It had been sitting in the back yard, under a tree, since 2003 or 2004.  It was absolutely covered in dead leaves, twigs, and dirt.  The six pictures in the link above were taken after relocation to my dad's yard, and after significant cleaning had taken place.

The seller had misplaced the keys, so I took my coffee can o'keys with me.  I had about 70 different keys to try, sorted into rings of 10.  Went through three rings without success, then the 33rd time was the charm - third key on the next ring turned the ignition.

One step down, next was a battery and some gas.  Almost no gas in the tank (thankfully), but with some gas poured down the carb, the engine showed signs of life.  Went to pour my jerry can into the tank - locking gas cap.  Had to destructively remove that, but eventually got it off of there.  Poured a few litres of gas in, then tried starting again.  It took a few tries (car had been sitting for nearly a decade, after all), but it roared to life and stayed running.  Three tires were low, the other completely flat, but he had a compressor on hand.

This was actually a diamond in the rough.  The body was pretty good with not much rust.  The windshield and brakes were brand new just before it was parked.  It doesn't sag in the rear like many of these cars do, so the leaf springs may be replacements as well.  Doors don't sag, and the hood release handle is intact.

Much to the seller's surprise, I drove it out of his yard - leaving behind a Concord sized patch of dead grass and four pits about 3" deep.

It needs a tuneup in a big way, and I haven't found a working key for the trunk yet.  A good cleaning is in order too.  Shouldn't take much to get this one on the road again.

Whuntmore:
Another one added to the flock.  Back up to Ten again?

El Matador:

--- Quote from: Whuntmore on October 01, 2012, 06:41:49 PM ---Another one added to the flock.  Back up to Ten again?
--- End quote ---

Nope, only nine.

"Only" nine...  ::)

DaemonForce:
Yay! Good find. :)

Whuntmore:
Ok, so have you decided what you're gonna do with it?  You gonna keep it, and fix it up/sell it, or you gonna use it for parts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version