The Shop > Axle / Differential

slight whistle noise after new front axle and hub

(1/3) > >>

maximus7001:
Greetings.

Finally got the new half shafts in there and the driver side hub rebuilt.  Have driven it about 200km since then. Later at night when it is cool enough to drive with the windows down I can hear a very quiet whistle noise coming from the driver front wheel area. I have tried coasting to a stop with the engine off in neutral and drive, makes no difference with brakes or no brakes. The noise starts when going slower than 20km and continues down to a stop.

The center nut was apparently tightened to 175 ft/lb. Does this value change after being driven for a few days? Anyone remember values of theirs when rechecking torque and if it needed to be tightened and by how much?

The shield was painted gloss black.

AMC of Houston:
I have heard dry grease seals make that kind of noise.   Maybe the hub seal didn't get a fine coat of lube on the seal lip(s).   As a test, you could put a shot of WD40 into where the outer CV goes into the hub.   Maybe it would get on the seal and quiet it down for a little bit (if that's the problem).

txjeeptx:
I can also think of fresh CV boots squeaking as the folds/bellows come into and out of contact with each other. You can put a light coat of WD or your preference of rubber protectant on the new CV boots to see if they're the source of the squeak.

maximus7001:
Well, well, well, we found our little whistle. The half shaft is wrong. Both shafts were bought at the same time, same box & part # and one has a bigger outside joint and boot. It bolted up alright and works ok except the lower ball joint grease fitting is rubbing on the boot and has worn halfway through it. This is the second time in less than a year that I have had major problems with fenco brand. This is going to cost me $75 to r&r this junk. Last time it was a six month old new fenco water pump on my van that exploded and took out the fan, clutch, belt and coolant plus a tow and $200 in labour.

Check this out, the new ball joint is even a lower profile than stock.

This is the other side, obviously smaller diameter joint.

txjeeptx:
Quick short term fix is to remove the ball joint's grease fitting(if you can), and replace it with a plug or an inverted/recessed type grease fitting, and run that oversize CV until its time to replace it again. When you go to grease that ball joint, you'll have to remove the plug or get a grease needle and inject it through the boot or through the recessed fitting, if you can get it in there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version