The Shop > Axle / Differential

looking for sources for new ring and pinion gears

(1/1)

Comcamguy:
Hi,
I am currently in the middle of resurrecting my new(to me) 1984 wagon and I'm in need of rear ring an pinion set. I swapped out front and rear axles from an earlier eagle since the rear end was destroyed by someone the previous owner loaned it to. I was quite sad because it had the 2.35 in it and would get great milage and good top end for the freeway. I now have the donor ones (2.72) mounted after a visual inspection they appeared ok but after driving, the rear is screwed up and I need to put a different ring/pinion gear into the rear. I am looking for new replacement ring and pinion for 2.72 in the rear. I find a crap load for all the rock crawler ratios but I want better milage and don't want to have to change carriers in addition to the gears in the front as well. Where do I find them? .

eaglefreek:
It's too bad. I took my 2.73 rear to the scrap yard when I swapped to 3.07's. You may have to go with used gears unless you stumble upon some old NOS 2.73 gears.

mach1mustang351:
I hate to bring up an old thread but how does the 3.07 work in the car??  I switched to a 4.0 and an AX15 and the thing id geared way too tall. 

mudkicker715:
My3.07 seems to get the best  mileage

eaglefreek:

--- Quote from: mach1mustang351 on December 17, 2011, 12:31:06 AM ---I hate to bring up an old thread but how does the 3.07 work in the car??  I switched to a 4.0 and an AX15 and the thing id geared way too tall. 

--- End quote ---
With the 3 speed auto they seem to be fine. At 70-75 mph it seems to be revving a little high. Probably in the 2700 rpm range. If I had a 5 speed or auto with OD I would probably go with 3.55's myself. I have 215/75/15 tires. I used an online gear ratio calculator and 3.07 gears with the new tires actually result in a final ratio that is a little higher and not lower like I wanted. The 6's seem to like to be in a certain rpm range while cruising for best MPG. If you go to low of an RPM they seem to get less mpg in my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version