The Mighty 258 > The Engine

New Engine

(1/2) > >>

carguy87:
I was looking for a new engine to replace my worn out 250k+ mile 258 and have only been able to find running Jeep CJ 4.2L's hanging around. My question is if these will bolt in place of our 258's, and if so, which years? Or do they all bolt up? The main thing I am worrying about is that dang front axle mounting area.

priya:
If I remember correctly all Jeep 6 cylinders up until sometime in the 90's or early 2000's have the bosses for mounting the axle, but they don't have the holes drilled and threaded which you would have to do yourself.  I expect someone who knows better will say so shortly.

JayRamb:

--- Quote from: carguy87 on March 17, 2011, 12:17:12 PM ---I was looking for a new engine to replace my worn out 250k+ mile 258 and have only been able to find running Jeep CJ 4.2L's hanging around. My question is if these will bolt in place of our 258's, and if so, which years? Or do they all bolt up? The main thing I am worrying about is that dang front axle mounting area.

--- End quote ---

What is your budget? I assume you want rebuilt or a drop in from another vehicle?

mudkicker715:
Most are drilled and tapped. Haven't seen or heard of one that wasn't. However any amc 6 79 or older does nothave an axle mountability.

So l6 4.0 and 4.2 works.

carguy87:
I was looking at rebuild, but I just wanna do a drop in as my budget is rather low atm, just have a few hundred to get this vehicle back on the road as the dist. drive gear on my truck stripped out after 250,000 hard miles. I will be using the old engine to probably make a stroker out of or drop a 4.0 head on it, .030 over pistons, fuel injection, and a 4.0 Camshaft for a nice little torquer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version