News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 07:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: spider gears  (Read 4147 times)

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
spider gears
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »
I have an 86 wagon with a 2.35 ratio. what options do i have for new spider( side gears) gears? I have a lot of slop or play that is not the ring and pinion.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: spider gears
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
Front or rear?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
rear

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
There is supposed to be some backlash in the spiders.  Here is a vid showing how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0NsMzdFcZg

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to learn more about differentials. Will the side/spider gears from a jeep Cherokee d35 fit in my amc15? 

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
I haven't tried, but the differential cases are the same, so they should fit.

If you have that much play/backlash in the spider gears, you need to check the cross shaft and the case for wear. If there is that much wear, you have 250K on it and the oil has never been changed, lack of oil, water and/or dirt in the oil or excessive abuse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:50:20 PM by PR1AWRet »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
You need them to be from pre '91 (non-C clip) diffs.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I thought my ring and pinion were bad but when the cover came off they were like brand new but the pinion rod(?) and gears had mucho slop. I'd love to update the rearend but then you get into all the front matching mess. I may end up with a lifted 2wd concord cloaked as an eagle. Thanks again for all the info.

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
You could replace the spider gears and cross shaft with a LockRite locker and new shaft if the hole in the differential case aren't wallowed out. Something like this.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_001.htm''

There are also the spider kits available for the non-c clip axle.  They are more expensive than the newer D35's (shrug) and usually out of stock from the few places I've looked.

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=7839&Product=YPKM35-S-27-1.6&Brand=Yukon_Gear_and_Axle&ShowAA=True&Year=&Model=&DriveType=&DiffId=&Source=DiffWizard

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
Looked at Yukon site but missed that page. Not a bad price if in stock. I'm afraid the hole is messed up because the pin was moving some also. Guess I need to open her up again and do a better look see.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Sounds like you need to do a carrier swap.

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
yup.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk