News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 07:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there more than one gear ratio on amc eagle rear ends?  (Read 4689 times)

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Is there more than one gear ratio on amc eagle rear ends?
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
Hello all, its been awhile since I picked your brains ;p
I gave up on the motor on my '85 eagle.  I recently purchased an 84 eagle sport 4door wagon, with a shot rear end.  I removed and installed the rear end from the  85, and I am worried about gear ratios, Is there more than one available?  I test drove it already, and it seemed like I was going a lot faster than the speedo said. 
Thanks for any input
Also, what makes it a "sport"?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Is there more than one gear ratio on amc eagle rear ends?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
Yes, there are different rear (and front) ratios.  They have to match or you will destroy your viscous coupling.  I think in '84 and '85 the 2.35, 2.73 and 3.08 ratios were offered in automatic transmission 6 cylinder cars.  There is a tag on the front differential (unless removed) that gives that ratio and a stamping on an axle tube boss on the passenger side near the pumpkin cover with a code:  L = 2.35; J = 2.73 and F = 3.08.

The 1984 wagon sport package contained:  Blackout moldings and accents; black bumpers with guards; Left remote sport mirror (black); Halogen headlamps and fog lamps; leather wrapped sport steering wheel; 4 X 4 graphics; and from the factory P195/75 R15 BSW Arriva steel radials.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
Thank you, that is what I was looking for.  Fortunately, I have the front diff out of the donor car.  So after I change the front diff, my speedo will be massivly off, according to gps 23 on the gauge = 30 real mph, 43 on the gauge = 55 mph.  Is this adjustable, or change-able?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
It can be changed with a different speedometer gear.  Get the one out of the donor car's transfer case and replace the one you are using now.  Make sure you note the position of the adapter housing on the donor car so you can line up the marks on the car you are putting it in.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Sounds like the sport originally had 3.08 gears. If you don't want to change the front, search around for an '84-'90 XJ with 4.0L 5 speed. Most are 3.08 and except for the shock mounts, they are bolt in plus that gets rid of the 2 piece axles. Already have one going into my wagon once I feel a bit better.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
Two piece axle?
I already changed the front diff yesterday, the one I took out had a vacuum controlled, I assume 4x4 switch, and the one I put in did not.  I will have to figure out how to eliminate the unneeded vacuum lines, always I good thing I say.  Now instead of 8 miles there is only 7 ;)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
2 piece rear axle. That big nut in the middle is one of the weak points of the Eagle's D35/Model 15 rear diff. The other is the small pinion bearing with a heavy side load.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk