The Shop > Transmission Shop

Torque Converters.

<< < (2/17) > >>

T5258:
I agree....my Spirit has a lockup converter & rpms drop by 2-300 when the converter locks (appox 37 mph)

philotomy:
 Ok this may sounds stupid but...what does "lock up" refer to?I've been reading about it in Chiltons but I think I'm even more confused now.Mine is an 87 with non lock up But what would make them change it?
 Mine's making a whining ,clicking sound,Is it gonna grenade on me?Maybe just a loose torque conv. bolt?cracked flexplate? :'(

IowaEagle:
A lock up converter, in simple terms, sidelines the fluid coupling between the engine and transmission to make it direct drive set up.

eaglebeek:

--- Quote from: philotomy on December 14, 2007, 09:27:39 AM ---  Mine's making a whining ,clicking sound,Is it gonna grenade on me?Maybe just a loose torque conv. bolt?cracked flexplate? :'(

--- End quote ---

Whining noises are many times simply a matter of adding fluid. Clicking noises may indeed be coming from a loose/cracked torque converter/flex plate. Have you noticed any differences in how the car drives since the noises developed? For instance, a car that suddenly becomes noticeably sluggish getting moving from a standing start may have suffered an internal torque converter or overrunning clutch failure.

Jurjen:
@IE:
Part numbers you mentioned can be found in the Eaglepedia parts list 1984 -1988 too. Doesn't show the years to them, but they must be correct.
Are you saying that no lockup was used after 1984?

I found a 1980 datasheet:
http://homepage.mac.com/christopher.z/hobby/80-DataBook/B15.JPG
that is telling me that only 6-cyl engines with 2WD have lockup.

In the 1982 TSM, you will find that 4-cyl cars have no lockup and 6-cyl cars have lockup
In the 1983 TSM supplement you will find that fleet cars have no lockup, others have lockup.

Don't read Chiltons (I did, pag.1-18): eg. 1985 - 1988 all models use lockup converter.

I'm completely lost  :-\

Can you feel the lockup engage on an Eagle? If you can, mine doesn't have lockup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version