The Shop > Transmission Shop

Torque Converters.

(1/17) > >>

IowaEagle:
Just learned this so I thought we will get it added and then update it once more information is confirmed.

Different styles of AMC Eagle 998 Torque Converters were used.

1980 - 1983:  No confirmed data yet. 

1984 AMC # JR775 035 for US and Canada (Rebuilt)   J8132 569 for exported cars.  Both were lock up converters.

1985 and 1986  AMC #  JR775 033 for US and Canada (Rebuilt)   J8132 567 for exported cars.  Non lock up converters.

1987 and 1988  AMC #  JR775 134 for US and Canada (Rebuilt)   53004 910 for exported cars.  Non lock up conveters.

BenM:
My 87 has a lockup converter. I'm sure the transmission is original. I will look at the rebuild sheet and see if I have any numbers.

IowaEagle:
Was the tranny ever replaced that you know of?

BenM:
Not that I know of. I pulled it myself for the rebuild at 130,000, and the rod was hooked up correctly. The dipstick had been sealed at the bottom with both the gasket and some RTV, and the transfer case might be rebuilt, it had RTV holding it together and to the transmission in a non-oem looking way, but the transmission was all factory, including the torque converter and flywheel (which cracked when the transmission went). The Transfer case said 1987 on it.

Just looking from grime and assembly, I'm pretty confident that it was original when I pulled it, plus the fact that it died soon after I got it, and was leaking fluid.

So, I can't be 100%, but comparing it to some of the "around it" repairs, it looks to have been part of the car for a long time. Is there a date stamping you know of on the transmission? I'll look this week.

IowaEagle:
Not sure about a date code, will have to check the TSM.  Sometimes you never knew what you will find from the factory.  Could have even been a request to the dealer for the locking converter type.  I wonder why they quit using it?  It did help a little with MPG.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version