News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New carb, new muscle car sound...  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
New carb, new muscle car sound...
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:32:49 PM »
Took the Eagle wagon out for its first drive with the MC2150 in it. It's made my foot heavier. A little more than idle and it's moving along easily at 25 mph / 40 kph. It also sounds somewhat like a muscle car; I discovered that the pipe from the pulse-air to the cat is AWOL (wtf), so the cat is making chugging noise out of that connection. That's likely going to be fun (not) to source.

Drove it around in a parking lot after hours, so I could test brakes, etc.. Heading back to the 50 mph / 80 kph road, the Eagle drives over something somewhat substantial. No difficulties, but I was curious what it was. So I backed up, right over it again. It was my muffler, now with tire tracks. Now I really had a muscle car sound. (I had a piece of wood in the back, so the hot muffler sat on that to get home and I'll get it back on tomorrow.)

Hitting the gas to get up to 50 mph was rather fun. Lots of noise feedback. At lights, it would take off with just a little gas over idle, with lots of noise. In the Circle K parking lot, gas was at idle and speed was controlled by the brake, so it was making a nice muscle car chug-chug instead of that missing muffler roar. People were looking at it puzzled, as in, what kind of muscle car is that.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:50:58 AM by Canoe »

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: New carb, new muscle car sound...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »
People were looking at it puzzled, as in, what kind of muscle car is that.

Gave me a chuckle. Makes me think I might want to look into the MC2150...
1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in Super Brown

More young men should work on old cars.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »
People were looking at it puzzled, as in, what kind of muscle car is that.

Gave me a chuckle. Makes me think I might want to look into the MC2150...
The engine is also rebuilt, some years ago now. From the ground up. Crank is now aligned straight in the block, cylinders overbored so they're aligned in the block so the 4.2 is now a 4.3, plus a 7120 HO 4.0 head (cleaned, but I don't recall it being ported), stronger valve springs, Crower Baja Beast Level II camshaft for more low and mid torque. With stock carb it would pull my utility trailer at 55 mph and got 23 mpg; at 80 mph with trailer (stuck going with the flow in the slow lane on a highway during rush hour (ohio?)), it still had acceleration left. It had previously been upgraded to the GM ignition module and a TFI coil.

So the MC2150 didn't do that by itself. Perhaps the final piece that allowed it to happen.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:46:35 PM by Canoe »

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
I am considering hiring the services of Newcomer Racing for a stroker build based on the later 4.0 with as much street performance as would be reasonable.

Research on the Eagle has been just about the most fun research project I have worked on. It's surprising who is making what these days to not only keep these old birds on the road but to improve all of their characteristics beyond stock configurations, as well. That is to say even with the 3,400-pound wagon curb weight.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:53:32 PM »
... a stroker build based on the later 4.0 with as much street performance as would be reasonable. ...
Just put a 4.0 in with their 7120 head and EFI, 2.25 (maybe 2.5) exhaust, drop a different cam in it, better valve springs, maybe rollers. I don't think you really need to stroke it with a 258 crank, etc..

Still hadn't got the muffler back on when I stopped at Home Depot today. Trying to sneak onto the lot without it being obvious that I haven't got a muffler, so I'm just letting it idle along, plenty fast, holding it back with the brake. As I chugged along a young woman in shorts and tube top was staring at it with wide eyes lit up and jaw hanging down. I parked some distance from the store and when I walked past her on my way there I had to confess, "not a muscle car - no muffler...". My nephew said I should have kept my mouth shut.

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
Just put a 4.0 in with their 7120 head and EFI... etc.

I have considered this. It would not only be reasonable but also effective.

As I chugged along a young woman in shorts and tube top was staring at it with wide eyes lit up and jaw hanging down.

These cars are so interesting. When I show it to folks, I often get the question, "Do you have a girlfriend?" This question could have so many different implications! It's quite funny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk