News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle1983' AMC Eagle Sedan  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Eagle1983' AMC Eagle Sedan
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
 ;D  I finally have a Eagle, It is a 1984 Eagle 30 Sedan, it is two tone brown, I will try to get some pics up this weekend of the car, Found it in Stanton MI, Paid 3000 for it,the seller who was a older gentleman mentioned he was selling it because the slipped on the ice last winter and broke his hip and was out of work so he had to sell it, put about 4-6 thousand into it, it was his fifth eagle if I remember correctly, bough first one when they had first came out. The underside barely has any surface rust, driver side door has a little on bottom, The car has manual windows and locks, all original.The vinyl top is in good shape, only has one of two small places where the stitching is starting to come apart. The seller had put on a New carb-tried two rebuild but had bad luck so put on a new factory original one, new steering box,new brakes,new coolant lines, even had a new air filter, last oil change was 1,000 miles ago, and had a full tank of gas, interior looks almost spotless, except for one mark on the front passenger seat. Drove it all the way home for 4 hours straight, only used 3/4 of a tank of gas, was mostly on highways going 65-70, also took a few back roads, hit one very steep hill though and had to about floor it to stay at 50 MPH, also did a brake test when I hit a green light entering a town doing 50 just to find out it was a T. has 143,500 miles on engine, only problem is that it looks like one of the valve gaskets is leaking some oil, engine is a bit covered in it on the bottom, but the temp gauge never got above half way the whole time driving home and the oil was still full. back suspension also needs new shocks. besides that good car, also interior is tan. Also missing amc Hood badge, Just double checking the 1984 model did have switch on the fly right, the switch does not say you have to stop but was just making sure as Wiki says 1985 but does not really mention it for 1984. Also my father mentioned while looking at it that one of the covers for the safety pin on the center of the front drivers side tire come off and the barring might need repack. Have a nice day.
Eagles never die.

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
Re: Eagle1983' AMC Eagle Sedan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
Sounds like a nice Eagle.  I know I have seen some hood ornaments show up for sale from time to time.  Is that what you are missing on the hood or is it one that has the chrome edge with the Eagle emblem?
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
Sounds like a nice Eagle.  I know I have seen some hood ornaments show up for sale from time to time.  Is that what you are missing on the hood or is it one that has the chrome edge with the Eagle emblem?

It is the one on the hood, like what the concord would have had.
Eagles never die.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »

It is the one on the hood, like what the concord would have had.

Those come up for sale from time to time.  I will have to see if I have one.  I am also planning another trip to the local U-Pull-It.  tried to buy an Eagle or two with no luck that likely ended up there last week.  I'll look and see if either has one.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
1983 was the last year for the "stop and Switch 2wd - 4wd"
1984 and up was Shift on the Fly...so you're good to go  ;D
Congrats on the new Eagle. Looking forward to pics.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
Thanks, I have check ebay but the Hood top medallion/ornament seems to go for a good amount. Good luck with the search. Have a nice day.
Eagles never die.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
I was also wondering if anyone would have to have a steering wheel for sale, the three spoke ones like on wagoneers with the lather wrap and the fake wood in the center that is round. like on the limited edition vehicles.
Eagles never die.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
that AMC ornament is kinda  pain to find,  i ended up putting a power bulge hood on my wagon so that i don't need that emblem ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
Congrats on your new Eagle.  If it has the OE plastic valve cover then I suggest you seriously get an aftermarket aluminum one.  Don't waste your time and money trying to get the OE one not to leak at this late date.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
Congrats on your new Eagle.  If it has the OE plastic valve cover then I suggest you seriously get an aftermarket aluminum one.  Don't waste your time and money trying to get the OE one not to leak at this late date.

Agreed.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
I was wondering I have noticed on a few forums that people mention giving there cars names, who started that idea exactly and what is it about, also what names have already been Taken.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:47:16 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »
Took Eleanor out for the first time in the snow today, was surprised when I first pulled out of the driveway though, has a bit of a incline, must have hit ice because my back wheels or wheel not to sure if it was both started to spin. Had her in 4 wheel drive, must be the tires, last owner put normal all weather sedan tires on her not to long ago, back up then forward before I tried to pull out to make sure the 4 wheel drive was engaged, happened to me a second time later and she actually died on me.
Eagles never die.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:27 AM »
So, did you determine if you were in 4WD, or not?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
So, did you determine if you were in 4WD, or not?

I am pretty sure it was in 4 wheel drive, switched the selector to it drove forward and backwards a couple of times, then let it sit for a few minutes before I drove, might just be the tires. They are not winter or snow tires, just normal all season tires. My local mechanic did not seem to see anything wrong with the hoses and she runs fine.there is one hose connected to the carb, the second one down from the top, that is still connected to the carb but not connected to anything else. Has some type of gauge or something one it. Not to good with vacuum system. I do not think it is anything important though. 
Eagles never die.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
If it's in 4 wheel drive you should be able to spin all 4 tires on ice.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagle1985

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »

The Shift-On-The-Fly system was officially introduced on the 1985 Eagle.

//////////

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
If it's in 4 wheel drive you should be able to spin all 4 tires on ice.

Thanks for the suggestion, so far I have only hit ice with the back, usually back out of the drive way. Next time I will try pulling out and see if the front tires also spin. What type of winter tires would you recommend getting. Every time I hit ice backing out the car usually stops, then if the back tires spin to much the engine stalls for some reason. I would have figured the front tires would keep me going.
Eagles never die.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »

The Shift-On-The-Fly system was officially introduced on the 1985 Eagle.

//////////

thanks should hopefully be getting some pictures of it up this weekend.If I can remember how to upload pictures. Also just ordered a new black aluminum valve cover, should have it on by this Christmas break.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:36:10 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »
Tried moving here again today in the snow, my one back tire was slipping on ice again though, Had my dad watch. He said that was the only tire slipping. The thing is that when it slipped the car stopped completely, as if the two front tires were not engaged and I had it set into four wheel drive, runs fine so I wonder what the problem could be with her?
Eagles never die.

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
Just wondering  does any one know where I can find a window channel/weather stripping for my 84 Eagle's drive side door, fond a PRECISION REPLACEMENT PARTS ALL-RUBBER WINDOW CHANNELS at JC whitney but do not know if it will fit or what type/style to get. Has any on here ever used them for parts or window channels.
Eagles never die.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk