News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trunk lock cylinder  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Haefen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Trunk lock cylinder
« on: November 11, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
Hey hope someone can give me a bit of info here about my trunk lock cylinder.

Normally if I was having trouble with the lock I'd just see about getting it rebuilt one way or another but the problem is when I bought my eagle from the last owner it didn't come with the trunk lock cylinder at all. Just completely missing. The hole looks fine, not ripped out, the rod inside seems fine since I can open the trunk with my finger, I was just wondering if there are any known interchange cylinders? I saw that one old post from 2011 mentioned AMC P/N 8122874, but the closest I can find myself is 8122874K3 Door Lock Cylinder. I don't have my hands on the original to know what it looks like, so I can't tell if that K3 at the end makes a big enough difference to keep it from being a suitable replacement or not. If someone has a better lead/code, or can tell me if that one will work I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Re: Trunk lock cylinder
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 09:09:22 PM »
I dont know off the top of my head, but the dude to ask on eagle locks is a guy who goes by the username "amcofhouston". I dont know if hes active on this forum anymore, but I think he still posts on the amc forum. He still had the original pins and was able to re-pin my lock cylinders for me a few years back.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 10:40:11 PM »
You can get the uncoded lock kits for about $15 mail order (search J8122874).   Problem is they don't come with the "lever" that triggers the trunk latch.   If you want to see one with the lever, search Ebay for auction # 314213755084

I bet those levers can be bought somewhere, but I haven't yet figured out where!!

Probably easier to get a used Eagle/Concord/Hornet trunk/tailgate lock and re-tumbler it to your key.

George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »
aaaaayyyyyy, there he is, that magnificent bastahd
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:43:05 AM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
 :rotfl:    Yep; still here - I got tagged as a moderator some years back, so I'm stuck.    Luckily this group is super-polite, and needs no "moderating"!!

Still happy to redo locks for Eaglers!   Locksmith charges are a rip!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »
 :rotfl: glad i made you stick around    :help:

Manitowoc WI

Offline Haefen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks a lot everyone! Funny enough AMC of Houston was the one I was mentioning from that post from 2011 so I appreciate seeing someone so knowledgeable still around!

When we're talking about the rod, which rod are we talking about? To open my trunk right now I put my finger in the hole and lift a rod that's right next to the hole, so if it's that one mine still has it. Or is there some second rod that connects between the keyhole and that one?

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 06:41:06 PM »
That lever you're pushing to open your trunk is part of the trunk latch assy.   The other lever on the trunk lock doesn't physically attach to the trunk latch at all, but rather just pushes on the latch lever when you twist the key (like when you push it with your finger).   Take a look at this lock set auction on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354187175067

The 2 locks on the left are the door locks; the one on the right is the trunk lock.   Notice the door locks have levers with holes for the door lock rods, while the trunk lock simply has a "pusher" lever.   All 3 locks are identical, except for the levers attached on the back (attached with little "E" clips).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7