News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• August 13, 2022, 01:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pulse Air Information  (Read 172 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 23
Pulse Air Information
« on: July 18, 2022, 03:22:37 PM »
Shamelessly cross-posting from the AMC forum because I think this was used in most late model AMC's and not in 70's/60's models.

I'm being very Experimenty lately and in a pile of parts I received the correct air cleaner, hoses, valves and solenoids to add the Pulse AIR system to an Eagle. My computer is a 1982 so it does technically already have the wiring and blindly operates the solenoids, but they were never installed. From what I can tell it uses pulsations of negative air pressure in the exhaust system to feed in fresh air either upstream just after the exhaust manifold flange or downstream at the catalytic converter. It doesn't use an AIR pump, a diverter valve or a bunch of extra plumbing so other than the rigid lines and check valves I already have all the "hard to get" bits to take a shot at trying and then cap the ports off and convert it back when I'm done. The system however isn't well documented other than it had a thing for rusting out and fouling the carb when a check valve fails so here's a diagram I drew up with how I think it goes together.

So here's the fun part. My car never had AIR management or a catalytic converter so I don't have upstream or downstream ports in the exhaust. My plan was to drill the hole in the upstream where it should be and a hole in the side of the resonator but I don't know if A) The correct pressures needed for it to work will be present and B) If the upstream port has something like an elbow inside the pipe to use the venturi effect to build negative pressure or if it's just a hole on the side of the pipe.
The other thing is that I'm missing the check valves. They look visually different from the AIR injection type with rounded tops and I can't find anyone that sells that style. Will the injection type check valves work in its place?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:24:16 PM by MIPS »

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk