News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upper Control Arm Bushing  (Read 981 times)

Offline CaliEagle97

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Upper Control Arm Bushing
« on: July 04, 2022, 03:04:15 PM »
Hi, currently trying to replace my front shocks and springs. Using a tool I bought from a texan off ebay who makes and sells them, very handy. I got the passenger side done in less than an hour. However, the drivers side upper control arm bolt is seized, and PB blaster has not proven helpful. Does anybody have a tip or advice aside from just cutting the bolt out and replacing it with a new one? The passenger side was far easier to get to and remove.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Be groovy or leave, man

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Upper Control Arm Bushing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »
Just all the usual things to try before you end up cutting the bolt - heat, impact wrench if it will fit, breaker bar, or some combination of those. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:43:35 AM »
I had to use a breaker bar in the wheel well with a wrench and a block of the wood in the engine bay to keep the whole bolt from spinning.

Offline CaliEagle97

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
After continually coating with the PB Blaster, and enough "oomph", I was able to get it out. So my javelin springs and KYB shocks are in, front end sits in a happy state with my 27"s and it's time to do my rear suspension. Thanks for the advice fellas
Be groovy or leave, man

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
I'm glad you were able to finally convince it to give up!  Thanks for sharing the results and happy motoring!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk