News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where do I start?.....project daize......as in daized and confused!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
So this week, after two years and little progress on my friend end, we struck a deal, and bang! I bought my eagle back! It's a 1986 wagon model. Equipped with a 5 speed/258 punched .030" and I put a rather large bump stick in it plus the offy split intake and I inherited the car with a tri-y header already installed. I recall how much fun I had cruising it. I got 21mpg on  the daily with it. Until the T5 gave up the fight one day. After two years in my buddy's yard, all of it came crashing back. I had totally rewired the car, updated the lighting and audio, replaced front ball joints and a four wheel brake service too. All new lines and hoses, master, starter, alternator, HEI ignition upgrade, and then all the stuff I missed😑

So she always had a whine to the rear, seemed mostly the side. I've heard great things about these axles, ugh anyone know how to tell what axle I have? And as far as axle swaps go, it seems very cloudy as to where the break in carrier size is for doing a regear. Which is love to do! Anyways there's that.

Secondly, the T5 issue.......has anyone had these apart? I'm expecting a complete overhaul because she started knocking hard in third gear, I've found cluster gears, but something about 32 vs 34 teeth.......any ideas? And what IS the od gear? I've read .72, .76 and .86🤔

At some point, some one, changed the t case. Iirc, it was an np229 unit. I did confirm it had hi, lol, and 2/4 obviously. I'd like to know how people have installed the shift assemblies on these units. I hooked up the vac select for 2 & 4 but all I have is a homemade tab that fits the range shaft, the rest of that slate is blank.

My tach quit before I sold it, but I think vangremlin has me covered there.

My wagon has a rear wiper on the hatch.......with homemade hinges........anyone know if there's replacement hinges yet?? Ohhhh yeah....so the wiper worked fine at first, which amazed me. But then it gradually got slower, now it's inoperative. Has anyone found a cheaper than $200 option for replacement or rebuilt one?

Miss Daizey has a beautiful red leather interior said nobody ever......the seats and dash and plastic don't bother me. I even put a new carpet in. Black of course. Does anybody have for sale a set in a different color or know a place where they could be had?

Door handles!! Mine are all floppy and one door is stubborn about latching. I once read about broken springs or something to that effect(exterior). Taking suggestions on how to tackle those!

Lastly! Scheduled for sometime around the coat of paint I wanna throw at it is a new set of sneakers. The tires I REALLY want are 235/75/15. I already plan to do the javelin coil swap up front and maybe xj spring swap if not axle and all, plus shackles. Ive mostly read I should be ok. Any advice?

What do you guys run for tires / tire size on your birds?
Oh before I forget! What's everyone doing for exhaust???? A friend recommended trying xj exhaust off the header but I'm not sure if that'll work. It had a scab system that actually sounded nice until it got ripped off the day I sold it🤦

Ive got a pile of work to do to this thing but can't wait to drive it again. Unfortunately our area is down to one scrap yard, and they crushed the last three eagles they had two years ago. They were pretty picked over anyways, but the old man that owned the yard died a few weeks ago, so that idea is double bust. I am sure alot of this info is hiding in the forums somewhere, but I've been going non stop for four days and the answers I have found are confusing at best😖 I know alot of the guys on here take their amcs as gospel and know them by heart. The voice of experience is a loud one too! I really appreciate ANY and ALL feedback I can get. Suggestions, advice, speculation and criticism alike! 🍻🦅

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Where do I start?.....project daize......as in daized and confused!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
Here is my 4wd shifter for my 229 modified from a Jeep 87-95 YJ shift lever IMG_0279 by rmick1, on Flickr https://www.ebay.com/itm/284256640197?fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item422f041cc5:g:V18AAOSw67hgdfw~
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 05:23:47 PM »
Nice job with fit and finish! Thanks for that! Did it have the bend in it already or was that done to increase leg space?.....
229 is grand wagoneer case correct? Trying to nail down what these came in so if I do find another I can snag it!

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 10:17:37 PM »
On the jeep the handle is normally mounted with the bend aft I believe I just suck it on 90 degrees to normal install and may have added a slight more bend to move it away. I know others have used the original lever for a 229 from a jeep or have modified later units to fit.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:20:50 AM »
Ok so I think I've got all the inspiration I need on shifters. And I was able to educate myself on transfer case application. Still rusty on the whole vc thing.....lost a ball joint and axle a while back and the car would still roll if left in gear, I always used 4hi because I didn't have a proper mode shifter installed and it would kick out of 2wd. But it drove fine after that so I don't know🤷 the trans I'll figure out one way or another, I just wanted an idea before I had it apart what gear set it uses or if there was only one or several used in the eagles. The rear end thing is really like to know. I read 20 smthn posts yesterday and the day before and there's alot of conflicting info.the way I understand it, the d30 ifs up front, uses the same housing and carrier from 2.73:1 and up. While 2.35 is by itself, with the exception of "some" disconnect axles. From memory I feel like this car has an AMC 20 rear, either way, I'd like at least a 3.08 final, but this is where my wires get crossed as there seems to be alot of different info on carrier breaks for the two axles, not to mention the d35 is always brought up in between.

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 03:26:10 AM »
Problem solved. One friend donated a Chrysler 8.25 from an xj and another buddy gave me a d30 from a tj both are 3.07 and that'll be just a smidge better than the short 2.73 I have in there now. Now I just gotta get into that t5 and see how bad the damage is🙄🙄

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 08:29:27 PM »
So I got my suspension work done. Xj leafs in the back with rough country lift shocks for an xj, bolted to a Chrysler 8.25. I used sky jacket 1.5/2" lift shackles for an xj as well. The grinder made quick work of removing the shackle bushings from the original shackle brackets, then I welded some "u" shaped 3/16" plates to the brackets to mount the xj shackles. The whole rear suspension was quite a breeze. Up front I got my new shocks and javelin "V8" springs. That was ugh.........let's just say it took a few beer breaks to get that end of it done.🍻 So now Ive gotta change out the pitman/idler arms and steering damper, hook up a parking brake assembly which, I suspect will be easy enough. I need to remove and inspect the foot pedal assembly yet as it won't stay engaged. I've got four new tires waiting for a matched set of rims, and I'm still waiting on transmission parts. Hopefully those will arrive soon but I have my doubts. I cracked my tcase open last night..... YIKES! So I have an np229 according to the case tag, but it has an open differential instead of a viscous coupler. I've had several cases apart before but none like this. There's an aluminum drum with an internal stack up of plates and steels similar to an auto trans with a snap ring to retain it all. The drum is broken and cracked along the ring land at the open ends of the snap ring. I have a part number for the drum but between that and several diagrams I can't find the drum in any parts breakdowns or anywhere for that matter. Interesting to say the least. I suppose I'll weld it back together and keep my fingers crossed 🤷 aside from all of this, my front diff is still waiting to be re geared. And I've got new door handles to install. Also hoping my new 4bbl carb will arrive soon.

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 08:47:26 AM »
If you ever come through SD, Ive got a working NP129 Ive got no use for.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 10:39:52 PM »
Thanks birdman but it's probably a safe bet I won't get out that way any time soon! Lol I'm in NY next Canada and vt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk