News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38829 times)

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
Very cool, I'm building a modern take on a Spirit rally car.  I've always wondered what setups they used on the Eagle cars.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »
Whomever was the original build on this car did professional work. I like what I've run into and easy fixes thus far.  Working on shock tower and upper a arm now as well as front spindles. Good bearings, very bad seals.

Regarding your build, why are you lowering it to Spirit  height? Seems old springs do that for us!  :rotfl:  mine were down close to thge bumper pads

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
I just like the spirit ride height better, aesthetically.  The way I am doing it, if I do not like the height or want to change it back I have the pieces available to do so.  I have spring setups for a 6 cylinder eagle (which I heard was the same spring tension settings as 2wd 8 cylinder cars), 4 cylinder eagle (same as 2wd 6 cylinder cars), and 4 cylinder Spirit.  I really like the way the original builder of your car did the front suspension, it has given me some ideas for my rally car build just when I thought I had my mind made up.  What is the make of the middle coilover and how was it originally attached to the upper control arm?  I am also curious regarding the modifications done to the upper shock mounts?

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
Nice.  I like taller eagles!   8) 

The middle coilover is unknown, tags unreadable.  I have searched and found nothing.  Anything comparable is very expensive.  It is not a gas shock, just a piston with seals and bushing.  The spring is 12" with 2.5" ID and appears to be 300 pounds with 16" extended and +-10" compressed.  I am rebuilding these and will reinstall them.  Each end has a male rod end (both ends trashed) with 1/2" Heim Joint..  At the top, they made a bracket assemble to bolt the rod end to.  They used washers as spacers, so I will have to make up a bushing to fit it better.  The guy I bought it from included a set of Hydro 7052 shocks (2 on each side) that I will mount up.  This setup of 2 shocks and one coilover keeps the front end fairly level around corners while carrying the 390 motor weight.  The lower cross bar is 1/2" round stock.  I will replace them with new since these are beat (required more that 12 tons to free them from the tube.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:22:13 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
Started installing front steering gear with all new wear parts. Will set front axel soon.  Then dropped fuel tank, rear shocks, tail pipes (dual exhaust) and brake lines. Lots of room under there!  Have to order new rear springs with lift.  Fuel tank is in great shape, has rock shields. Fuel hose really bad. Surprised it never caught fire, both fuel and electrical!!! That's all in the past now.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
Was/is this car fitted with rear disc brakes?  If so, do they have the original 5x4.5 lug pattern?  Usually to get rear discs on a Eagle, a rear end swap is required.  Might explain the strange rear diff setup.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
watch out for that front rock guard on the fuel tank I've seen them collect sand & gravel and trap moisture up against the tank and cause rust through

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
Yes, rear wheel disc brakes on 5x4.5. Same rear axle just a quality welded bracket. I'll snap a picture of the mounts.

Yes, the rock shield is actually a gravel collector. Dry between the two and tank is in great shape. I'll cut a slot in front of shield to let debris and moisture drop out.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
Rear disc brake brackets.  Nice easy setup.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
Do you know if the rear brake rotors are a stock part off something or did they have to make a custom brake disc hat to fit the caliper and spindle offset offset?  Also can you post a picture of the rear differential cover?

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Rear on this car is the same as the front, both rotors and calipers.  Rear axle is a Dana 35 with standard cover and 4:11 gears.

New rear springs are on order!  Adding a 1" lift.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
Very interesting, this has once again given me some new ideas.  Keep up the good work.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Rebuilt coilovers with new bushing and Heim joints. New shocks and new cross shaft on control arm.  Waiting on some parts to finish front end. Then drop rear axle and the new rear springs in.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
Parts relay so out came the rear axle and springs.  No rust on unibody!  Some surface rust but no cancer.  Definitely a SW car.  Springs were saggy and a 3/4" lift block was on drivers side.  Bushings shot.  All new bushings will go in. I'll pull shafts out and replace seals and check bearing/races.  Cleaned axle housing to work on.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:45:11 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
Coilovers and leaf springs. Plus the rear disc brake bracket and mount. AMC number.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk