News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 02, 2024, 07:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rear bearing and rear axle bearing question?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
rear bearing and rear axle bearing question?
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
Rear Bearing axle and wheel question. I have been gathering what i need to swap out the rear wheel bearings and the rear axle bearings....my question is, are both bearings the same? I have an 87 eagle......i found that the axle bearings are a set 6 but i cant seem to find in my chilton book, or the eagleapedia what bearings go on the rear axle. Any foresight would be most appreciated. or, should i just repack them and be on my way? thank you....ryan and bernice......
i also have the seals #3942(inner wheel bearing seal) and 12685(axle shaft oil seal and retainer assembly).  :-\
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
Re: rear bearing and rear axle bearing question?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
Those inner bearings are larger than the outter ones, but why would you want/need to change the inner ones ? Might as well completely rebuild the diff. as do that and the job requires knowledge and skills and special tools for setting preload. So forget that unless there is a problem. As to the outter ones, if there is no problem with them such as noise [on turns] or high mileage, then I would just repack, check inner seal for leakage or just replace it for good measure, outter seal also. If replacing wheel bearings, you must set preload to spec.

Hope this answers your question and happy Eagle-ing.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:06:06 PM by profeagle »

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
thank you for the info, i jut wanted to change for good measure but it sounds like its out of my know-how. Everything is fine, i just wanted to keep the car running at her best but it sounds better if i just let it be. I will just check the seals and make sure evrything is still as it should and then button her up and be on my way. i very much appreciate your response. thank you.
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
You are very welcome and nothing wrong with preventative maintaince, but the old saying goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it !  LOL  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk