News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 10:15:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 AMC Eagle SX4  (Read 12588 times)

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
1983 AMC Eagle SX4
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »

Okay got that over with so here is the information. I bought a 1983 black SX4 way up and PA and brought it down to the south in North Carolina where it belongs. I actually bought it from the original owner's family since he passed away 2 years ago and the family was finally ready to give it up. It had been sitting since 1998 in the same place in their drive way and they trusted me (a 20 year old punk kid) to take it away from them! The car had 119,xxx miles on it and it wasn't running when we bought it. I brought it home, strapped a new starter on, put a battery in and it cranked right up. It ran for about 2 minutes and then BAM, started knocking. The oil pump was shot so I pulled the engine out and tore it apart because I figured it would be best to just throw a $500 rebuild kit into it and call it good. Strapped it back in after the rebuild and it runs like a beauty. Enough talk though and lets get to the pictures!

There she is after I first got home from Stroudsburg, PA. I took the hood off, it didn't come like that. I'm getting ready to take the engine out in this picture.

Engine is out. This is the kind of help I get.....haha that's not me in the picture. Now to look at the rust damage which was significantly worse than what I had anticipated.

There is the driver side. The whole inside of the frame behind the steering box was missing and the shock tower was completely separated from the frame. Passenger side wasn't much better.

Now for the fun part of repairing the rust with a 1/8 inch piece of sheet metal and crappy welding skills. Enjoy the pictures haha

Okay well I don't want to bore you with boring rust pictures. Let's get to the fun part which was rebuilding the engine!

Back from the machine shop. Decked, tanked and bored to .030 over

Pistons, crank and timing set on.

Okay and here's where it gets good. Quick story. I have my own gas can in our garage. I had it filled up with gas when I started the eagle before the engine rebuild so I ASSUMED it still had gas in it after the rebuild since I had never touched it. Well that bit me in the a** because apparently someone filled it up with diesel. Yes this is headed to where you think it's headed, I ran diesel through a brand new rebuild gas engine and then that lead to this.....

A brand new Weber conversion carburetor because I thought the original carter feedback piece of sh*t had pooped out and that's why it wasn't running. We eventually figured out it was diesel when the weber didn't work either and got it running fine.

Then I decided that I wanted to paint the car but didn't want to spend the time doing body work and spend the money on PPG or Sikens so I did what every redneck does, I went over to Home Depot and bought 12 cans of satin black spray paint. Here's the aftermath.

THEN, (I know I know the story never ends) my awesome amazing dad bought me some wheels and tires for my baby and that made the car POP. He got me 15" steelies with 235/75R15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s and we found out the hard way that they were not going to come close to fitting with the fender flares on. So I ended up having to strip the flares off and cut the fenders a little but it was worth it.

And this meant it was time to go off for inspection!

Those are all the pictures I have on my computer right now but I have since done the following:

I replaced the T4 tranny with a brand new (not reman) NV3550 that I got off craiglist with a NP231 T-case for $700. So I also put the NP231 in and pulled a shifter handle off a 94 Cherokee in the junk yard. Now with the new bell housing for the NV3550, I couldn't use the eagle slave cylinder for the clutch (which I just bought brand new and now have no use for) so I went to the junk yard again and got a master and slave cylinder off of a 94 Cherokee which had an AX5 in it but still used the same slave cylinder. I took the push rod out of my brand new master cylinder and put it in the new master cylinder since it was longer and retrofitted the Cherokee clutch master cylinder to my firewall and had to change the geometry on the pedal a little. The system works beautifully. I also had to make a rear drive shaft and the front drive shaft I pulled out of a mid 80's chevy truck and it turned out to fit perfectly with the longer transmission I used. Then I went on to do fun stuff like replace all the hardware in the drum brakes, new brake lines, new rotors and pads and I also added a leaf to the spring packs and replaced one broken leaf. I had a 1966 donor mustang that I pulled the leafs out of to use for the eagle. Sits up better in the back now.

Now the only problem I have to fix is that my brakes keep gradually putting pressure on the front pads and dragging the brakes about every 5 miles. The only way I can fix it is if I unscrew the brake line from the master a little and relieve the pressure. I think the front rubber hoses are collapsing in on themselves so I will change those tomorrow hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes and I hope you enjoy my post. I have 180 pictures so far of this car and they can all be viewed here:

http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/Chazhill14/library/1983%20AMC%20Eagle%20SX4?sort=3&page=1
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:57:48 AM by steveabn8295b »
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: 1983 AMC Eagle SX4
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:10 PM »
Great job on the Eagle!! Way to rescue it! You deserve an egg. :)
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
Welcome to the Nest. Excellent work.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
Very nice work!

Welcome to the nest
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
Welcome to the Nest and great work you're doing on that SX/4.  I always like the look of a fresh blue AMC engine!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Welcome to the Nest and great work you're doing on that SX/4.  I always like the look of a fresh blue AMC engine!

I love that colour!  I'm thinking of painting my Corvette that colour.  Anyone know a paint code for it?

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

I love that colour!  I'm thinking of painting my Corvette that colour.  Anyone know a paint code for it?
AMC Blue is my second fave color for engines. My choice is the copper color of the 343's in 67.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
When I redid my engine I had the local paint store mix me up some industrial paint in amc blue

I have a whole gallon for less than the cost of two cans

It's very very glossy though, but it makes it easy to keep clean

I now have enough to paint 30 or 40 engines and maybe a whole car too!

If anybody needs their engine painted let me know!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
I can get the paint code from my dad. He got it from a local paint shop and they knew exactly what he meant when he said AMC blue. This engine was painted blue and then clear coated so it's only glossy because of the clear coat.
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
Much appreciated Chazhill14.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »
It's so weird to see an SX/4 and it's even worse that I'm catching weird continuity errors in the photos like magically replaced hubcaps and foglamps. Ahaha! ::)

That rust looks so nasty and I wouldn't have the patience to work with that.

I am quickly approaching the point where I want to do something similar. FULL teardown, repaint, reconstruction with some older system and design interchange(Hornet, Cherokee, Rambler, Concord, Wagoneer...), hunt around for a 4L block to bore out and make a nice and square VAM 282 clone out of it, toss the crappy Torqueflite for a 5 or 6 speed manual and maybe put in new axles that I hope to God won't snap.

I really like how you handled this project and I'd be impressed to see something like this come of an old Rambler or Wagoneer. This SX/4 looks so nice that it reminds me of the kind of point I need to make when it comes to collecting parts from them in the junkyard. The grill looks better than the original and you somehow managed to figure out a way to make the hood and mirrors look interesting without all the shiny chrome. This is good. :occasion14:
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
I really appreciate all the compliments on the car! Almost finished my roof rack today, might go out later tonight and weld some more but I have some new information.

The AMC blue color code is 6858. Hope that helps. I can take a picture of the can and post it too if that makes things easier.

Also, I remember there being some confusion on where to get a new universal for the drive shaft because it had to have two ends with internal C-clips and the other two had to be the external clips. Well when I changed my transmission and transfer case I had to cut and make a new drive shaft. I used the slip yoke off of a 94 Cherokee for the transfer case end and was able to find a moog universal joint that was a direct replacement for the stock eagle spicer universal joint. The part number is 319 and I was able to get mine from advance auto parts.

I hope this information helps you guys. I modified a lot of stuff off that 94 Cherokee and was also able to find a lot of weird replacement parts if anyone needs help finding cross over part numbers.
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »
Oh, sweet!  Thanks Chazhill14, I really apreciate that. :)

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »
Oh, sweet!  Thanks Chazhill14, I really apreciate that. :)

Anytime! I hope your able to get some AMC blue paint and paint your house! I mean your engine!!!
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
You went to all that work and kept the plastic valve cover? ???
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »
Ah shoot, you noticed! I'm planning on doing a 4.0L head swap with fuel injection at somepoint when I can find a good deal on a wrecked cherokee. So it's kinda long-term temporary and it doesn't seem to be giving me any issues yet. I'm ashamed of it, no need to pour salt into the wound.  ;)
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk