News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 02:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best way to change front differential oil  (Read 4503 times)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Best way to change front differential oil
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
What is the best way to change the oil in the front differential on an 85 eagle?
Is it possible to just drop the drivers side after disconnecting both half shafts (and the 2 bolts on the engine mount, 1 bolt on the diff)?
Then realigning it would be easier.
Or do you have to drop the entire differential in order to be able to get to the cover bolts?
Also I have heard that some use brake cleaner to clean out the inside before closing it up and adding new fluid.

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Best way to change front differential oil
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
I don't have a good answer, but I can tell you how I am going to try it....   I am going to try to suck the oil out of the fill port using a piece of 1/4" tubing and my Vacuum bleeder.  I'll probably fill it with a small hand pump I have.  The only other way I have seen to do it is to drop the front cross member out of the way.

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
You can refill it through the breather tube on the drivers side of the engine bay.

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
The siphon method may work for if you don't have the equipment to drop the front diff. Though the service manual even says to drop the front diff, and that's the way I've always done it. It's not a very hard job actually, just disconnect the half shaft and a few bolts, and the whole thing can be lowered down on a floor jack. Admit, it's some work just to change the fluid, but it helps to see what's going inside the diff and be sure all the old oil is out of it.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
Do you have to remove the bolt that hold the differential on the passenger side or can you just drop down the drivers side?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:40 AM »
I used a floor jack, undid the bolts from the diff and set the axle onto axle stands (3 to keep it level) without dropping driveshaft or axles. Gave me just enough room to access the fill hole and loosening the cover got the oil out. Slightly tipping the pinion up got the most oil out and silicone to reseal it. (I had a spare cover cleaned up to swap out with the fill plug already loosened)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk