News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 08:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My seats have caused me pain  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
My seats have caused me pain
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
I have had my eagle for several years and ever since I got it the drivers side seat has been broken, I know this is somewhat common and a real pain in the you know what, literally

Mine was broken in the back part where you now sat atop a steel bar instead of padding! I, like others, tried to stuff various pillows, foam peices, part of a swimming pool noodle, etc etc in there to give me some comfort. All to no avail....

This weekend in finally fixed it, and I'm sad to say it wasn't very hard, and I should have done it years ago

Mine has the leather interior, others may be the same

After removing the seat the problem was evident, the springs are attached to the rear frame bar, the springs were broken, not just where they came loose but broken, im a good sized guy, but not that big!

So, how to fix.... Cant weld, cant replace spring without taking the whole seat apart...

Took some larger size hose clamps, and fastened them around the end of the spring and reattached to the frame bar, this brought them back "up" to the correct height, then , and this is an important step, you will notice that the springs were attached to one another in a few places. I took some wire (I used electric fence wire) and add additional connections between each individual spring, this let's them all "help" each other and gives the seat a lot more stiffness

So now my seat sits perfect, like new, the problem is the leather is all squashed into the broken way and looks bad, dont think it will ever come back......but at least it feels good!

I went ahead and braced up the other seat too even though it hadn't broken yet

Now driving the eagle won't be such a pain in the .......

Rob c

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:03:37 PM by Amc1320 »
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk