News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 05:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I use a trans. other then the 904/727 in my 2wd Concord?  (Read 8689 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Can I use a trans. other then the 904/727 in my 2wd Concord?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
No prob, and I think that's where I made my mistake as my reverse lamps do not work, lol. ah another "micro" project for me. What year did you source your parts from, or did you get a whole donor jeep?
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
I went to the Junkyard and cut the transmission harness and TCU from a 95 XJ. I bought an AW4 from Strike Eagle, but it is from a 2000 XJ. So I have to install an earlier extension housing, output speed sensor and rotor from a 91-96 XJ and either install the TRS (transmission range sensor) connector from the earlier years or install a whole TRS from a 91-96.  I'm going to do a write up when it is all said and done to help others who may want to do it. I've spent quite a few hours going over all the information and misinformation on the net. I absolutely do not want a box that I have to keep switching to change gears. Engineers have spent a multitude of hours to figure out how to control the transmission and it doesn't make sense to me to negate that with some toggle switches.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
Wow... you guys have really taken this to another level!!!! Congrats!

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »
I went to the Junkyard and cut the transmission harness and TCU from a 95 XJ. I bought an AW4 from Strike Eagle, but it is from a 2000 XJ. So I have to install an earlier extension housing, output speed sensor and rotor from a 91-96 XJ and either install the TRS (transmission range sensor) connector from the earlier years or install a whole TRS from a 91-96.  I'm going to do a write up when it is all said and done to help others who may want to do it. I've spent quite a few hours going over all the information and misinformation on the net. I absolutely do not want a box that I have to keep switching to change gears. Engineers have spent a multitude of hours to figure out how to control the transmission and it doesn't make sense to me to negate that with some toggle switches.

Very cool, that's why your diagram looked odd to me, lol, I've only tore into a Renix harness (PITA I might add). What have you planned to address the electronic speedo that those have? I know there's companies out there that offer a converter box, but kinda pricey, maybe you have another trick up your sleeve for that? (or are you using the stock t-case) Eventually, the sx/4 will likely get an aw4 as well, the jeep was my experiment to see if it was within my capabilities to make work. When I go about it, I plan on using another renix version for the swap (the electronics anyway), that way I can retain a mechanical speedo.  I'll be watching for the write up  :occasion14: .
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
I believe 87-95 use the same connectors and the transmission harness should be the same. I'll confirm that at the junkyard next week. The speedo is on the transfer case and doesn't come into play on a 4wd. The AW4 doesn't use any VSS info, only the engine computer. The transmission gets it's speed info from the rear output speed sensor that is on the tailshaft of the transmission. The only difference that I could find from the Renix to the the HO TCU is that the Renix sends 5v through pin D1 to the TPS. The Renix engine computer uses a TPS signal that is backwards, so on the Renix throttle body you will have a dual TPS. One for the engine computer and one for the transmission computer. The one for the transmission sends info just like the later HO TPS, so Jeep just tapped into a single TPS on the HO and deleted the 5v source from pin D1 on the TCU. So doing this with a carbed engine it is best to use the Renix TCU, otherwise you will have to have a 5v stepdown regulator to supply 5v to the TPS. But those are only about $10-$15.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:35:20 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk