News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 09:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brought her home today......  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Roadmaster

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 21
Brought her home today......
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »
without a license plate!! oh my!  yup about a 40mile trip too, had my son follow me real close.  ;)
come to find out after i did the registration and stuff that the antique plate WILL COME IN THE MAIL!
geeeesh, how was i to know?
 we made it ok, the eagle ran real nice.
a few issues i need to ask the PO about.
the cover is missing over the back seat as he must have been working on speakers but they are in the trunk not hooked up. so no speakers, no radio.
thats no biggie though, not much of a radio person.
the temp gauge does not work, nor does the add-on one work.
but the one that bothered me is i can smell exhaust fumes inside.  so of course i pulled the squid and cranked the window a bit.  i know he put a new muffler on and it doesn't sound like there are any hole anywhere.
do you think they are coming in from the trunk area since there is no cover over the back seats?
there is no covering in the shifter hole either.
i  found all this neat stuff in the glove box.  its all there and the original owner (old lady) signed inside the cover.
the eagle took its first flight on 3/21/85.

i hope its warm enough tomorrow so i can get to work on it and clean up the inside.  it needs a good vacuuming and a layer of grease taken off the steering wheel.
i will stick my old "86 Eagle" plate on the back so i can  get gas and hit the car wash.
there are some very fine hairline cracks aound both rear "wing" windows. do you think i should go over them with clear nail polish to seal them up?
the front bumper is crooked to.
 i will get lots of pics tomorrow

i LOVE my best birthday present ever!

1985 Eagle Sedan
had an 86 Eagle wagon
had an 83 Eagle limited wagon
miss my Roadmaster Estate

Williamsport, PA

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Brought her home today......
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
Do you hear any exhaust leaks?  It could be coming in thru the cowl vent.  Try turning the heater all the way off.  Could be burning oil too if there is a leak.  I wonder if the factory sender for the temp gauge needs replacement or just reconnecting at the sender?  With the squid release open that too keeps the cowl vent in play.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Roadmaster

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 21
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
what exactly do you mean by the cowl vent?
how does the squid release relate to the cowl vent?
no, i  didn't hear any exhaust leaks.
i will check for any drips under the car tomorrow after it has sat overnight.
i need to check the oil anyway and find out when its due for a change.
it does have the plastic cover
1985 Eagle Sedan
had an 86 Eagle wagon
had an 83 Eagle limited wagon
miss my Roadmaster Estate

Williamsport, PA

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »
The slots in the cowl right under the windshield (on the outside of the car).  That is where your fresh air enters for the heater and squid release vents.  Sometimes they like to suck in bad odors.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk