News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 11:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rubber Hose Them Till They Sing Like A Cannery.  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Rubber Hose Them Till They Sing Like A Cannery.
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
1. - Make sure you have a good flexible rubber hoses in sizes from 1/8 to no more than 1 inch in diameter.
2. - Blind fold the suspect.
3. - Immobilize the suspect by tying them to a chair or hanging them from the rafters.
4. – Soak ………………………………………

:merror: UP’s!!! Sorry wrong forum got it mix up with my Sunday meeting forum.  ;)

I've notice from going true your post and comments with engine bay pictures that there are several AMC Eagles out there still running the factory rubber hoses.
It is advisable that all rubber hoses be change at least every 5 years with fuel hoses every year (Recommendations from the old days, since rubber quality has change in the past few years).
As we all know our AMC Eagles are a nightmare in the rubber hose department specially the vacuum system, and any vacuum leak no matter how small will drastically affect the performance of the engine, and if it's in the four wheel system that will kill the engagement mechanism for sure leaving us without any four wheel drive.
Then there is the fuel system rubber hoses that are a fire hazard if there is a leak in the system, or the berry least affect the engine performance.
So here is something for all does of you that have nothing to do to your AMC Eagles over the weekend. Get yourself a bunch of rubber hoses in different sizes, some vacuum connections a couple of vacuum plugs just in case you decide to delete some of the hoses and its accompanying switch or valve.
If you replace the fuel hoses make sure you only use fuel approve hose, including the ones for the fuel return and fuel vapor.
The work is not hard at old, but it is recommend you get a vacuum diagram that most applies to your AMC Eagle, it will help identify any hoses that have change original location since they were brand new.

Before I forget.
Don't remember the first part of the post, you never saw that part.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Re: Rubber Hose Them Till They Sing Like A Cannery.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:31 AM »
 :rotfl: Gil. Sucks cause I am sure I'd be better at the first part of your post than the last.
 :hello2: But yes, good reminders for all of us.
Now if only we had exact measurements on hose and sizes needed in the future, that would make it so much easier for some.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:00:15 AM »
And don't forget about the check valve in the fuel return hose that connects to the filter.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
I've allways have had problems find the new vacuum check valves and end up getting them at salvage yards.
Were is a good place to find new one?
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
I'd be curious to know how much hose to buy from some of you that have actually replaced all factory hoses? I'm wanting to redo the entire vacuum system in Freeagle and I'd like to just go to the store and purchase all the hose I'll need. Can anyone help me with an approximate amount of hose...how much and in what sizes?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
When I redid all mine on my Concord, I believe I bought 22 feet all together. But I bought a lot so the lines all have plenty of slack, and if the ends get ruined, I can cut off the end, and the hose will still be long enough. I don't remember the size, but I believe there were only 2, maybe 3, different sizes.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »
When I redid all mine on my Concord, I believe I bought 22 feet all together. But I bought a lot so the lines all have plenty of slack, and if the ends get ruined, I can cut off the end, and the hose will still be long enough. I don't remember the size, but I believe there were only 2, maybe 3, different sizes.

Well that's a starting point I guess. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk