News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions  (Read 82415 times)

Offline FredCDobbs

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:47:31 PM »
I have been through this ordeal with the front Dana 30 geared for 2.35.  When you say you bought a front axle geared for 3.54 I hope you mean housing and all.  The difference lies in the housing used for the 2.35 and the rest of the ratios.  I don't know if it was dana or amc that modified the housings.  The carriers for the 2.35 gears are the same as the other low range carriers.  In order to change my front gears to 3.45 I had to by a housing from an 82 wagon already geared for that ratio.  I have yet to dive into the Dana 35 rear axle to change it to 3.54 and put in a Detroit Truetrac which I just bought.  Please Lord, let there be no surprises there!

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »
I don't know about all that - I did get an entire housing, shafts n all. The shafts were damaged in shipping. The ends where the CV 1/2 shafts mount were severely bent.

The axle shop (Thrash Differential, SATX) had already pressed a couple of bearings and fresh seals into my 2.35 factory housing, so we took the gears and carrier from the 3.54 housing and stuffed em into the 2.35 housing, and it worked fine. It doesnt make sense that there would be two different housings, but three or even four different carriers for the D30 is plausible, since its been around for about half a century.

Hmmm, there's the Jeep D30 with two carriers that don't work in the Eagle D30, then there's the Eagle carrier for 2.35 to 3.07 gears(which won't work in a Jeep D30 or fit the aftermarket 3.55 Jeep D30 gears), then there's the 4 cylinder Eagle D30 with factory 3.54 gears(which is probably unique, didn't get a pic, can pop off the cover for a pic), so that's a total of four  different carriers for the D30.

In the end, I have the gears I needed in a well built housing. The key was locating the factory 3.54 gearing, which was from a 4 cylinder car. Now for a coating of POR-15 black and a mock-fit to the engine, which I will definitely take pics of. Has anyone ever taken a pic of the front axle mounted to the engine out of the car?

And Woody, you've been Outlawed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:07:51 PM by txjeeptx »
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
this whole front axle housing is making my head go in circles. lol. so confusing..i hope i have the right carrier to put in 3.55s

Offline FredCDobbs

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 02:57:55 AM »

Offline FredCDobbs

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Per reply #35. Yikes another typo.  The phrase "jeep Dana 35 case will not help" should read "jeep Dana 30 case will not help".   Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
Thanks Fred! Tha's quite a lot of info and also answers a few questions including people getting half shaft fitment problems. Is what you are referring to as the case the same as the carrier, what the ring gear bolts to?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline FredCDobbs

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
Yes, I am using "case" and "carrier" interchangebly.

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »
jeese...this does not look good to give my 85 eagle the 3.54 i wanted to put in her... :-[

Offline havasuhd

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
YUCK!!!  I was just pointed to this thread by Eaglefreek and what a mess!!  I have just installed a Ford 8.8 rearend in my Car with 3.73 gears and want to put those gears in the front as well......

So....... I saw something in the beginning of this thread posted by Dansvan that I am hoping is a loophole, Can I just make a custom ring gear spacer to put 3.73's in my current carrier?

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
YUCK!!!  I was just pointed to this thread by Eaglefreek and what a mess!!  I have just installed a Ford 8.8 rearend in my Car with 3.73 gears and want to put those gears in the front as well......

So....... I saw something in the beginning of this thread posted by Dansvan that I am hoping is a loophole, Can I just make a custom ring gear spacer to put 3.73's in my current carrier?

A spacer is just what I was thinking.  You could start by stacking washers of the same type between the ring gear and carrier, obtain a propper setup pattern, remove the washers, have a spacer machined to that size and you should be good.  Be sure to put some shims under both carrier bearings to give some adjustability when the spacer is machined.  Sounds to me like there may be a bit of demand for spacer.
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
that sounds like an idea

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »
I was going to go the spacer-route Mick has described, but was able to find a 4 cylinder Eagle front axle with 3.54 gears at a salvage yard. Eventually the 4cyl front axles will become pretty hard to come by. Mine wasn't that bad $-wise, even with shipping it from Massachusetts to Texas. I could have had the salvege yard ship me just the carrier with the 3.54 ring'n'pinion, since that's all I used.

Fred, thanks for the article.

This thread can get very confusing - Basically, if you have a 2.35 geared car, you can not use the original carrier to install lower gears into the front axle. The good news is that the lower gear carrier can be found in salvage yards in 4 cylinder Eagles, and it can be swapped into the original housing that had yer car's 2.35s in it. I dont know if aftermarket gears work with this carrier, since I didn't have to replace the gears for my axle(the ratio was right for me, and the gears were fine for re-use), so there may still be an issue with trying to swap in aftermarket 3.73 gears.

Another thing to consider is that the half shafts under the Eagle are not very well suited to low gearing coupled to large tires - there comes a point where its better to just bite the bullet and do a solid front axle like Mick's creations.

I fergot to take pics of the engine and front axle mock-up out of the car. Sorry, y'all.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
So basically, we need to salvage front and rear? differentials from all of the rusted out 4 cylinder models we can still find.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Definitely  the 4 cylinder front axles need to be saved at every possible opportunity, since they came with the lower gear carrier. It is the key to lower axle ratios with the factory IFS.

I wonder, since the Dodge Dakota 4x4 pickup uses a Dana 30 front, if it shares low ratio carriers with our Eagles. 

Rear axles are not as important to save, unless you really want to stick with original equipment, since there are better design axles in abundance and they are relatively easy to swap in.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
I agree from this day forward...............................
 NO SCRAPPING OF 4CYL FRONT AXLES!!!!!!!!
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk