News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 04:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progress is being made  (Read 62181 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Progress is being made
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
Sooooooo, does this mean you've decided to keep it?  :occasion14:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
Yes it does mean I am going to keep it.

Although if all this doesn't make it run better that decision may change quickly.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
Good luck with everything Brandon. Sounds like you're gonna be busy between school, the normal stuff around the house, & the Eagle. Hope it all works out for you.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
Thanks Pat.  We have sub zero wind chill right now, so nothing will be done on the eagle for awhile.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Prafeston

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »
Love the push bar setup.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »
Love the push bar setup.
Thanks.  I believe there are still pictures of that build on here.  The details were lost when a separate post was deleted.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Prafeston

« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
I saw the detailed photos. Looked like a little bit of fabricating. What was it originally made for?

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
I saw the detailed photos. Looked like a little bit of fabricating. What was it originally made for?
Not sure how I missed this question.  The push bar is a JC Whitney one.  It is a model set up for the XJ Cherokee and Ford Bronco II/Ranger (82-92). 

Update:  I picked up the Motorcraft set up from Kenny's yesterday.  My buddy Dustin and I are planning on attacking both on Saturday. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »
Got the Motorcraft Upgrade done today.  Took some Redneck Engineering with the help of my  friend Dustin.  We ran out of daylight when messing with the timing, so we didn't get the HEI upgrade done tonight.  Maybe next weekend.  Pictures and video of the adventure are to come.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
After lunch today I headed up to my friend Dustin's place with the goal of getting both the HEI and the motorcraft upgrades done on the Eagle.  We ran out of daylight to do the HEI, due to an issue with the throttle linkage.  Here are some pictures and video...

Here we are taking off the Carter.  Boy it was running really rich on the way up here.

Here are some pictures of the swap in progress...

Here are some shots of our work area.  This is maybe an 1/8 of Dustin's shop.  He has a nice place.  The whole shop is heated and he has an insulated double car paint booth that doubles as a man cave/gathering place.  It has AC and has appliances for food and beverages.   

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »
Next, came the adventure.  We got all the lines hooked up and everything ready to go, except for the throttle linkage.  The new Motorcraft did not have the little ball on the throttle for the linkage to connect to.  So we tried and tried to drill it to be able to put a bolt through.  No luck...

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
After we tried to drill it we went over to Dustin's friend Boomer's place to try his drill press; no luck with the drill press.  So we improvised...

A little welding later we had a workable throttle linkage.  It won't win any beauty awards, but it is functional.  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:07:47 PM by 83Eagle! »

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Why are these stupid pictures loading in the opposite order I enter them???

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
And without further ado, here's the motorcraft....

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
I was amazed at the difference between starting the Eagle with the Carter and starting the Eagle with the motorcraft.  It is like night and day difference.  I don't have to fight the old bird to get her to start anymore. 

We went through and pulled out a lot of the vacuum crap.  It looks so much better in the engine bay now.  We also has to replace a fuel line.  It was a lot of fun pulling out unneeded vacuum crap, capping stuff off and making a big pile on the shop floor. 

I believe there is a lot more that can be eliminated, but I'll need someone who is more familiar with 258s than Dustin and I to make that happen. 

I forgot to get a video of the Eagle running with the Carter.  I wish I would have filmed it as I was backing it into the shop.  It sounded horrible.  I did get some video footage of it running after.  What a difference.  Working on figuring out what order the video clips go in.  After I have them organized I will post them. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk